Exposure question

Tha Bizness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All!

Just starting out in photography and had a question. First off I have a Canon XT. I was trying to do a shot at a water fountain outside where the action is completely stopped (to get the individual droplets) and where the exposure is long so I can get a flowing water/motion effect. The fountain is outside. The 1/500 and 1/800 shots look ok and you can see some individual droplets coming off the main spouts but the 1 second shot is completely white which I assume I over exposed it.

How do I get this shot out doors with out over exposing it. The Canon was set on Tv mode. Nothing else changed except exposure with the little dial.

Tha Biz

If you want a long exposure outside, you have to cut down the amount of light coming into the camera overall. A neutral density filter will do the job. As for capturing the water droplets, fill flash will give an even greater effect.

Is there a certain type of filter I should look for over another? Are they setup by percentages like in astronomy?

As previously stated, lower the ISO as low as you can with your camera.
When using an ND filter, you can start with one that will cut the light by 2 stops. I use a Graduated ND filter, but cover the entire lens with the dark part of the filter. The filter I use is rectangular and fits in a holder attached to the front of the lens it is made by Shing-Ray . Other good brands are Hi Tech and Lee. By not having a full ND filter I can use the filter both ways and save on costs. The filters can be stacked if needed.
Be sure to use a tripod for the slow shutter speed shots.
Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about it.

Most reactions

Back