Exposure/White Balance C&C

netriaus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
More photos of my nephew. I'm really working on getting my exposure and white balance down and would appreciate anything anyone has to say.

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

I'm planning on putting these into a book for my sister for her birthday. I figured that it would be a good project to learn how to use my D80.

It probably seems like the only photos I take are of this kid! The next nice day, I plan on traipsing through the woods to see what kind of photos I can get there.

Thanks!

I like the perspective of #1; definitely not a conventional portrait shot, but I like it. The focus is good, and the overall exposure is fine and the white balance seems very close.

#1: The face is slighly washed out below the eyes. I'd tweak this using the levels/curves tool in your favorite post app. I'd also boost the saturation slightly.

#2: Again slightly washed out (I'm guessing due to your flash being too close). I'd try reshooting this one again and dropping the exposure 1/3 - 1/2 stop.

#3: Nice, great expression, and WB is spot on. The exposure here though is a bit extreme. The highlights on the left side of his face (Camera right) are about 1/3 stop over, and the shadows on the right (camera left) are too deep. A second light or reflector camera left would have save it.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Nice pics, but is it me or does the face/head look a little OOF on #3? The boots look to be in focus. Maybe it's just my eyes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back