Extention tube or lens mount with manual aperture control

Discussion in 'Nikon Lenses' started by crimbfighter, Feb 15, 2016.

1. crimbfighter

crimbfighter TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Does anyone know of either a lens mount or extension tube for Nikon lenses that has manual aperture control built in? I want to be able to use my G series macro lens on my bellows, but I can't since I have no manual control over the aperture.

2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I looked around on the web for 10 minutes or so. I thought Novoflex might have something. I went through a huge listing of their offerings but didn't see anything for Nikon.

I did not look through the Fotodiox site--they would be a potential source for an adapter; they DO SELL the Nikon F lens adapter to Canon EF mount adapter for around a hundred dollars; I own one, it is their deluxe adapter, and it has a manually, hand-operated mechanical controlling system that sets the Nikon G-=series lenses to one of seven different closely click-tabbed aperture sizes. The settings are unmarked, and I just count the clicks. Of course, the back end of that is a CANON mount. Since you're using it on a bellows, perhaps there could also be a second adapter added, Canon EOS to Nikon F, to mate to the front of the bellows.

Used with a G-series lens mounted in reverse, the Fotodiox G-series adapter would control the lens's iris from the very front of the rig.

If you really need a bellows, then you need a bellows. The Kenko AF tubes, set of three, control f/stop and keep AF and keep EXIF reporting and TTL control using Nikkor G-series lenses, so that would be one option. It's a three-ring set with something like 13mm, 20mm, and 36mm tubes, so it does offer quite a lot of extension, but it is, of course, not as flexible as a bellows.

3. crimbfighter

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the reply. I have the Kenko extension tubes, and they're quite useful. However, with the 105mm macro they only get me to 1.74:1. I can get to almost 2.5:1 with my bellows, and it has the added benefit of being mounted to a focus rail for those super fine adjustments or focus stacking.

I hadn't thought about mounting it in reverse and controlling the aperture with a fotodiox adapter. Loosing the ability to focus with the lens wouldnt be much of an issue since i can focus with the focusing rail. I did look at those adapters, but then noticed they were nikon to canon, nikon to sony, etc. That certainly would be an option. I also like the thought of simply adding a Canon to Nikon adapter to the stack. Definitely a couple viable options if I can't find a purpose built solution. Thanks for the ideas.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    How about adding a short focal length lens mounted in reverse orientation, to the front filter threads of the 105mm macro lens, using a lens reversing ring? That could get you higher magnification, plus the wide-angle lens could be almost "anything", even an old obsolete mount like Canon FD or Minolta manual focus or...Konica...or whatnot?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Manual focus lenses with aperture rings are very inexpensive these days. With a bellows, using a dedicated macro lens really isn't required. You can get about any lens with an aperture ring to work. I normally use a pre-Ai 28mm Nikkor on my bellows.

Some Nikon bellows have the aperture control built into them. Or you can reverse just about any lens you want with the right filter-thread-to-F-mount adapter.

6. crimbfighter

Photos OK to edit

That's a thought. Though I was hoping to make the least complicated setup I could with the bellows..

Thanks for the reply. I wish my bellows had that... I actually have a 55mm f/3.5 lens that I had AI converted for use on my D800 and it is a nice little lens. I've used it reversed on my bellows a few times. The main reason I want to be using my 105mm is for the working distance.