External Flash Recommendation for a D750

vandervr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anybody have any external flash recommendations for a D750? I would rather spend a little more if it makes a difference?

Thanks

Yongnuo yn568

Anybody have any external flash recommendations for a D750? I would rather spend a little more if it makes a difference?

Thanks

Nikons CLS system is a line of sight system. So you can use it on camera and off camera wireless. A good general flash is the SB-700 if you want to stay with Nikon flashes. Many people have had good luck with off brand flashes like the Yongnuo mentioned. The thing with Yongnuo is you can get a couple of them for the price of the one SB-700. Nikon also makes a more expensive models and less expensive models. But the SB-700 right in the middle is a very capable flash. I have a lot of flashes. And all but 2 are Nikons. I was thinking of trying some Yongnuo's since others like them so much.

I like an older Nikon flash, the SB-800. Why? Reliability...over a decade and counting...STILL works perfectly. Has nice features, good power, perhaps a bit more powerful than $79 or $89 Yongnuo or Neewer flash units. SPEED: I like this flash mostly because it uses a fifth AA battery in a special door/compartment. Not just four AA's, but five...makes a difference in recyle speed, and life of the batteries, since the discharge is spread between five cells, not just four. Makes it easier to have the five batteries in the flash, ready to go, at a moment's notice. Excellent power management, good battery life with the five cells.

FULL, 100 percent compatability with Nikon cameras, not 90% or less. Rugged. It's been durable. I use more off-camera flash than speedlight,but I have done some 100-250-shot and even a few 300-shot on-camera fill-light sessions with this flash...it's up to the task...again...instead of needing a battery pack with 8x 1.5 AA cells or whatever, I have 5 x 1.5 AA cells...gives good recylce time AND is not burdened by the need for an ancillary battery pack.

Many people have never bought Nikon flash units. I have one from 1984...STILL works....I have another from the same era...still working..I have an SB-20 from the late 80's, still working...

I look at a high-end speedlight like the SB-800 was (the top one when new) as a long-term investment, but there's another way to look at a speedlight, as a disposable, replaceable unit. Many people are satisfied with the Yongnuo or Neewer flash units.

My goto flash for my d750 when on camera or on my flash bracket is the Nikon sb700 due to the simplicity of the controls. After that I have a few sb800s, then a yongnuo.

Many will talk about the yongnuo but I think only the 568s (the one with all the compatible options) is the best to get for non-Nikon.

My goto flash for my d750 when on camera or on my flash bracket is the Nikon sb700 due to the simplicity of the controls. After that I have a few sb800s, then a yongnuo.

Many will talk about the yongnuo but I think only the 568s (the one with all the compatible options) is the best to get for non-Nikon.

Nikons CLS system is a line of sight system. So you can use it on camera and off camera wireless. A good general flash is the SB-700 if you want to stay with Nikon flashes. Many people have had good luck with off brand flashes like the Yongnuo mentioned. The thing with Yongnuo is you can get a couple of them for the price of the one SB-700. Nikon also makes a more expensive models and less expensive models. But the SB-700 right in the middle is a very capable flash. I have a lot of flashes. And all but 2 are Nikons. I was thinking of trying some Yongnuo's since others like them so much.
I've thought about trying that sometime.

It depends.
On what you shoot, how you shot, what you want, and your budget.

I've been using an old SB24 for years, and it does everything that I want it to do. I've also used an even older Vivitar 285HV. They do everything that I would use modern flash for, at a fraction of the cost. And if they break, I have their replacement, cuz they are relatively cheap.

I have not had reason to use the CLS feature of the current Nikon flashes.

Thanks

the SB-700 lacks things that becomes important down the road, like a sync port, or battery pack connection. I've owned an SB-700 for 7 years now, but i really wish I had a SB-800 if anything.

that or just loads of the same youngnou YN685 to all work with my YN622-TX.

Brian raised an interesting item.
When I get any flash, one of my requirements is to have a high voltage (HV) port, to connect to an external HV battery pack.
This is because there are times when I want FAST recyle time, that only comes with using an external HV pack.

As an example of a use that many should know, think of the bridal bouquet toss at a wedding.
I want 3 shots; the toss, the bouquet in mid flight and the catch.
At my nephew's wedding, without my normal flash and battery pack, I gave the bride her choice of ONE of the 3 shots.

Yes, I'm spoiled. Speed is like drugs, once you get used to FAST recyling, anything else is painfully slow.

So how important is speed to you?

Warning, read and heed the continuous shooting warning in the flash manual, or you could kill your flash.

@Derrel is spot on with the sb-800 recommendation. Great unit and can be had cheap.

Another option is the flashpoint R2 system sold through Adorama. It’s nice because it’s modular and easily expandable. They have speedlights take lithium ion batteries instead of AAs and get 1000+ shots on a charge. The system has radio triggers that trigger the flash units with no additional receivers needed. And they also sell several higher power monolights that can be triggered with the same transmitter as the speedlights for an easily scaleable system for any job.

I currently own two of their transmitters, an Xplor 600 monolight, and two li-ion R2 speedlights. It all works seemlessly together and is very well built. I’ve only had it for a few months now, but I have no doubt that it’ll hold up for quite some time.

Act, next time try breaking up the toss into 2 parts. have her pump fake the throw not actually throwing it just faking a throw and get that shot. Refocus on the ladies and allow the flash to recycle then tell her to throw and nail the bouquet inches from their hands. By the time they sort it out as to who has it, you are recycled again for the third shot, often with a killer expression. I have one where a girlfriend of one of the groomsmen is chasing him and hitting him with the bouquet yelling you will marry me and him looking back while running past me in mock terror.

I have 4 Nikon SB800s - all date from the 1990s. They all are reliable. Using off camera flash with the Nikon is a breeze. With the 4 flashes I have, and using the pop-up flash on my D7100 in Commander mode, I have 4 light sources I can use for creative lighting. It's not as good as studio lights, but when I'm out in the woods, this setup is a lot more convenient. The Nikon SB800 have proven to be extremely reliable.

Act, next time try breaking up the toss into 2 parts. have her pump fake the throw not actually throwing it just faking a throw and get that shot. Refocus on the ladies and allow the flash to recycle then tell her to throw and nail the bouquet inches from their hands. By the time they sort it out as to who has it, you are recycled again for the third shot, often with a killer expression. I have one where a girlfriend of one of the groomsmen is chasing him and hitting him with the bouquet yelling you will marry me and him looking back while running past me in mock terror.

I like the fake throw idea.
It seems so simple, yet I never thought of it, nor ever saw it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back