External hard drive ?

Jeff15

Photographizing junkie!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My external hard drive has stopped working. Any recommendations for a replacement?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Watching for recommendations as I haven't had good luck with my network cloud drives. I've had two, a Segate and a WD, both cropped out on me.

Buy cheap. Replace often.

Reds have the lowest failure rate. Seagate is not a good choice. My hard drive bays are fan cooled.

Toshiba drives are solid too

Reds have the lowest failure rate. Seagate is not a good choice. My hard drive bays are fan cooled.

Toshiba drives are solid too

So what would you suggest for a NAS personal cloud? WIFI access is almost a necessity to access movies and media from the smart TV's .

I'm not up on the NAS box's. I just build mine in a super micro case that houses 6 drives (2TB reds). I'm running Linux Slackware. I'm sure there are simpler server OS however or pre built Nas box's.

I'm not up on the NAS box's. I just build mine in a super micro case that houses 6 drives (2TB reds). I'm running Linux Slackware. I'm sure there are simpler server OS however or pre built Nas box's.

I have a couple of older desktop towers from the office, running XP with wifi cards. Would it be feasible to just convert one to a file server? Or to much of a pain?

I have a couple of older desktop towers from the office, running XP with wifi cards. Would it be feasible to just convert one to a file server? Or to much of a pain?
Sure. Just depends how many sata ports are on the mother board.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-sharing-feature-to-share-files-in-windows-x

I've been using Western Digital Elements USB3 external drives for a few years now. I don't know how reliable they are, but they're cheap, fast, and compact, I haven't had any issues in 3 years, and I use 2 of them to be safe. Amazon Basics has some cheap semi-hard cases that work well with them.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Samsung T5 ssd. Very small, very fast (I edit off mine). Great if your traveling as well.

I wouldn't use wifi on your NAS. Wired connection to your router. I also suggest a RAID card. I used to use OpenRAID back in the day, not sure if still one of the top open source anymore. If you are looking for a NAS box, I suggest Synology or QNAP. Both are very good. I use Synology myself.

Most reactions

Back