Extras needed for new camera?

FataOrgana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello :) I was here earlier trying to decide on which camera to buy to get myself started in the world of photography. I have since decided that I am buying a Nikon D7100. I'm excited! I'll also be taking a couple of photography and photoshop classes in September. My question now is, aside from the actual camera, what all extras do I need or want for this camera? Which lenses, flash, etc? Any and all recommendations are appreciated. :)

My budget is about $2,000 total, but it is not a *huge* deal if I end up going over some if it's something important. I haven't bought the camera yet, so if there are some really great bundle deals that anyone knows of I'm open to those suggestions as well. I'm a beginner and I'm interested in mostly portraits, pictures of family and kids, maybe some landscapes once in a while, not real worried about video or anything.

Thank you!

Since you're still learning and getting ready for classes I'd say get a nice tripod and a moderate zoom lens, say 18mm to 140mm. Those items will give you what you need for the classes and carry you until you decide where you want to go with photography. You may go tiny and need macro lenses, real estate and need 10mm, wildlife and need 600mm or whatever.
And spend some of the money on a few good books and perhaps a subscription to PS/LR and you're ready for class.

..so if there are some really great bundle deals that anyone knows of ..
If you buy your camera new, it will probably come bundled with at least one lens, and a pretty good one at that. While a second lens might be a good addition, you probably should not expect one.

Additionally, new Nikons usually are packaged with one battery, a charger, and an upload cable. Also a CD with the user's manual on it and some editing software.

Beyond that, you will need at least one memory card, which might be included. Anything else will be whatever accessories that the dealer happens to bundle with it.

My advice? Buy the camera and the kit lens.

STOP.

Shoot for a while. Learn the basics, see what kind of photography will interest you and where your passion lies. For example, I do own a tripod. I've used it twice. It just really isn't that useful of an accessory for me. You might be one of those guys that wants to use one all the time. Who knows.

So, best advice, get the basic setup and use it for a while. Then later on start looking at what else you want to be able to do that your basic setup struggles with - if you want a longer telephoto lens, for example, or a fast and sharp prime, or a tripod, etc...

Then go out and spend some of the rest of your budget on the items you actually need that will actually make your life in photography easier.

Just my 2 cents worth of course, YMMV

When you find things you want to shoot that the kit lens it came with won't do easily. THEN you know what you need in lenses. Don't by a lens and then try to figure out what it does best, shoot stuff and learn why your lens won't quite do what you want. Then get the lens that will.

If you find yourself shooting in dark rooms, the popup flash will do in a pinch, but not for "good" images. You'll want a good flash then. If you find yourself shooting a LOT of flash pictures, whether the flash is the onyl light or a fill light, you'll do like me and get a second one, and some stands, and learn to shoot with off-camera lighting. But don't even TRY to start there!

If you find yourself wanting to experiment with long exposure landscapes.... you know, those pictures of streams with the water blurred by its flowing?.... then you'll want to get a tripod. For general shooting, tripods are.... well, dumb. Unless you're using an incredibly long lens, like 500 or 600 mm. Then you want a tripod just to carry the weight of the damn thing. :)

In all these cases, it's not get the thing and find a use, it's find a shortcoming in what you have and get the thing to fix that.

A spare battery for your camera.

That one you'll need!!! :)

That one you'll need!!! :)

Get back from a day's picture taking, neglect to put the battery on charge, crash out. Next day..

A spare battery with the camera, and a spare SD card (in your wallet/purse).

You'll want a carrying case for your gear of some sort. I just bought a LowePro Flipside 300 and really like it thus far. I'm new enough that I haven't outgrown it and even if I do, it'll work for a great day pack for quick trips.

Extra battery or two.
SD card or two.
Maybe a new neck strap if you use one. The standard ones are narrow and uncomfortable.
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Amazon sells it, used sometimes too.

:redface: Thank you everyone! I always get such good advice here. <3 I am appreciating all the tips so much!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back