Extreme beginner, need advice on what camera to buy!

7621PX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am interested in learning about photography but right now I know next to nothing, so please bear with me! I currently have a very basic point and shoot camera. I have a two year old and would like to get a DSLR to get better quality images when I take pictures of him, but I have no idea what kind to get. I like the kind of photography where the subject is in focus and the background is blurry (I'm sure there is a term for this that I'm unaware of). Other than that, I have no requirements, just that I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. I'm hoping somewhere between $400-600. For no reason other than good reviews on Amazon I have looked at the Nikon D5000 and Olympus Evolt E420. Are either of these good for what I want to use it for, or does anyone have recommendations of another one I should look at? Thank you so much

I am interested in learning about photography but right now I know next to nothing, so please bear with me! I currently have a very basic point and shoot camera. I have a two year old and would like to get a DSLR to get better quality images when I take pictures of him, but I have no idea what kind to get. I like the kind of photography where the subject is in focus and the background is blurry (I'm sure there is a term for this that I'm unaware of). Other than that, I have no requirements, just that I don't want to spend a ton of money on it. I'm hoping somewhere between $400-600. For no reason other than good reviews on Amazon I have looked at the Nikon D5000 and Olympus Evolt E420. Are either of these good for what I want to use it for, or does anyone have recommendations of another one I should look at? Thank you so much

Ok, first a couple of basics, the effect your looking for where the subject is clearly in focus but the background is blurry is called bokeh. There are a number of ways to acheive this effect. Based on what you've posted above I would probably have you take a look at the Nikon D3100. The 3100 is designed for beginners and has a very easy to use guide mode, plus you can pick one up at Adorama for around $369:

Used Nikon D3100 14.2 Megapixels Digital Slr Camera Body W/18-55 Vr Lens

The other thing I would recommend would be a good external flash unit, since I would imaging a lot of your pictures will be of the indoor variety.

the effect your looking for where the subject is clearly in focus but the background is blurry is called bokeh. There are a number of ways to acheive this effect.

Interesting statement but wrong.
If the subject is in focus and the background is out of focus, that is due to a shallow depth of field.
The depth of field varies with the aperture.
Larger apertures, as expressed in f stops (smaller numbers) have a shallower depth of field thus producing the effect you want.

Bokeh, otoh, refers the quality of the out of focus area and that is an unchangeable characteristic of the specific lens.
Some lenses, like the Nikon 85 1.4, have a smooth creamy bokeh, some lenses have ugly jagged bokeh.

Lew!

Gosh, your speaking to me again! So.. any word on you me and Derrel, Times Square, New years eve? Can I put you down as a yes now?

I am quite the beginner myself as well starting only this year. I bought myself the nikon D5100 with the 18-55mm lens. Amazing camera and very easy to use once you go through the basics. Dont expect to be taking pictures like you see dont by proffesionals just because you own a DSLr, theres a lot to learn once you own one. Some people who come from a point and shoot camera are really upset over the fact there pictures now look worse! This is normally due to the fact the ignore the manual, Read the manual to any camera you get to get familiar with the functions faster and it really will teach you a lot you need to know.
You can achieve the blur in the back round with this camera and lens but it will take practice and the lens is not really suited to this but can be done. after spending a few months playing around learning a lot i started to notice a huge difference in my picture quality. Like everything it takes time. Make sure you really learn all the functions especially the exposure triangle.
Camera Exposure: Aperture, ISO & Shutter Speed

Theres a great website with almost everything you need to know thats linked to the exposure triangle page which is a huge help to understanding your manual settings which will in time greet you with the pictures you desire.

But anyway Nikon D5100 great camera for a beginner! and welcome to the forum.

Lew!

Gosh, your speaking to me again! So.. any word on you me and Derrel, Times Square, New years eve? Can I put you down as a yes now?

I correct the places where you spread ignorance.

Well figured I'd try to keep it simple and not get highly technical. Somehow I had a feeling somebody would come along later and just be completely unwilling to resist going completely over the top and getting into every minute detail even though all they really needed was a simple search term to get them started. And, here you are! But more importantly, Times Square, you me and Derrel - are we on? Come on Slugger, whatya say..

Lew!

I correct the places where you spread ignorance.

Well figured I'd try to keep it simple and not get highly technical. Somehow I had a feeling somebody would come along later and just be completely unwilling to resist going completely over the top and getting into every minute detail even though all they really needed was a simple search term to get them started. And, here you are! But more importantly, Times Square, you me and Derrel - are we on? Come on Slugger, whatya say..

I am not a mod but if you are so interested in a date with Lew how about keep it in a PM.

Recently, I purchased a Sony NEX3N 16-50mm (~US$400), among my other photo equipment. Despite, some bad review on Sony lens, I think both lens and body are wonderful and perform beyond my expectations. You also can do so much more with a mirrorless body, if you wish, and with so little money.

The Nikon D5200 is very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
In your price range I would recommend Nikon D3200, its a good beginners camera.
For pictures with a nice blurry background (called Bokeh) I recommend to get the Nikon 50mm 1.8G

Together you are looking at around 500$-600$

If you can afford the Nikon D5200 then by all mean its an awesome camera and better then the D3200 (which is a very good camera too as I said).

Don't discount Sony. The a57 is quite the machine. Granted, there definitely is not the same kind of lens selection as with the Nikon, but old Minolta Maxxum AF lenses will work and are DIRT cheap. There's some FANTASTIC glass out there for less than $100-zoom lenses with constant apertures, macro lenses, macro zoom lenses-the list goes on. I've found the a55 (the predecessor to the a57 and 58-quite similar) pretty easy to use the few times I've had the opportunity. From that, I imagine the a37 would be similarly easy to use, if not, easier.

Last edited:
Well figured I'd try to keep it simple and not get highly technical.
No you simply posted something wrong.

It wasnt more simple than the actual facts, it was just the wrong claims.

Don't discount Sony.
If you know what you're doing Sony has some interesting offers, but as general cameras, I would prefer Canon or Nikon entry level DSLRs.

Last edited:
It wasnt more simple than the actual facts, it was just the wrong claims.

Lol.. right, because it will make such a huge difference the OP in this regard. My goodness, a slightly incorrect/incomplete definition. Thank goodness homeland security isn't kicking in my door even as we speak

Most reactions

Back