Extreme noise/grain?!!

RebelTasha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I ran my first roll of film through an Elan ll.
I'm not expecting great things because I know i'm not using the greatest film but this wasn't even good..

So the film was Kodak UltraMax 400, I set the camera ISO to 400.
The indoor colour pictures were basically unusable the grain had almost eaten right through the pictures..so I changed them into b/w and then of course to me they looked fabulous I love grainy b/w..

*Would the noise be more noticable indoors than out? Or was I doing something wrong.. The outdoor ones weren't as bad.
*I noticed I really could get away with some pretty fast shutter speeds indoors low light.. so if I set the in camera to 200 would that make less noise on the pictures??

I am going to change to 200 I think or a different brand or something but I still have 5 rolls of this Kodak stuff to get through..

I scanned these myself I have scanned 1000's of negatives and not had results like these before (epson 4490)

Really bad
img392-vi.jpg

Really bad
img378-vi.jpg

Not as bad
img394-vi.jpg

Outdoors not as noticable
img399-vi.jpg

Here's after I switched them to b/w.
http://public.fotki.com/CanonGirl/canon-elan-ll-35mm-/

Last edited:
I am kind of embarassed to show them give me 5 minutes and I'll edit the OP and add some in..

Setting the ISO setting on the camera won't change the grain of the film. It just changes the camera's metering. I have used ultramax 400 and I've gotten some pretty good results outdoors- I haven't really used this film indoors too much though

3102863845_bd8c9ef196.jpg

2964592736_979f5fb9a3.jpg

2963733339_977cdc233c.jpg

Indoor Shot
92430025uf6.jpg

Underexposure. The same happens with 200 and 800 if they are underexposed. try overexposing a touch. The film latitude should cover it just fine.

I'll look around and see if I have any examples loafing around, all the kodak 400 I am finding that I have available online right now are outdoor shots.

Underexposure. The same happens with 200 and 800 if they are underexposed. try overexposing a touch. The film latitude should cover it just fine.

I'll look around and see if I have any examples loafing around, all the kodak 400 I am finding that I have available online right now are outdoor shots.

Thanks Battou, I will try that. I actually took the 5 rolls of Kodak back as I hadn't opened it the one I had in camera was from another pack I had used with success in my AE-1 sooo.. I grabbed some Fuji 200 to try.
I will experiment as much as I need to and next pay check I'll buy some better film and try different exposure settings as well like you suggested it's all part of the fun of film!

Thanks for your reply Colombus I did some follow up on that so that's why I ended up returning the film... I do plan on going back to 400 though as soon as I get a better grasp on this camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back