Extremely long exposures

EDL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've seen several examples of extremely long exposures (a year or longer) by guys like Michael Weseley. How does this work? How can you open a shutter for that long without ending up with just white, over exposed picture?

extremely small aperture and very slow film speed? not entirely sure. pretty cool stuff

Pinhole camera.

Edited to add: A pinhole camera can have an f-stop in the hundreds (I just made one with an f169 aperture) and photographic paper has an extremely low ISO rating (Harman Direct Positive is rated at ISO 3). I'm not sure that explains a 2-year exposure, but I can't see how it's possible with anything but a pinhole.

And after some checking, I see he indeed used a homemade pinhole camera. I don't know how small the hole was or what he was using for film or paper. Perhaps he added some sort of homemade filter to reduce light levels even further. I don't doubt that he also has tricks for developing that allow him get as much out of the image as possible.

Last edited:
From this page: Unusually Long Exposure Photographs by Michael Wesely | Amusing Planet
For more than a decade, German photography artist Michael Wesely has been inventing and refining techniques for making photographs with unusually long exposures - some as long as three years. In 1997, armed with a self-built pinhole camera, he began using this unique approach to photography to explore major urban construction projects around Berlin.

That is some amazing work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back