Eye of Fire

Clawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there!

I decided to do a little light painting tonight. Let me know what you think, as I certainly appreciate any feedback ~

Regards,
Canaan

Eye of Fire by Clawed1, on Flickr

Haha, when I read your title I was anticipating a question about red-eye lol.

Pretty cool shot, using the enclosed space has some effects. Quite good exposure too (or at least appears that on this monitor (I think my gamma is a little high)).

Thank you!

So, as to how I did this: it's a technique called steel wool spinning. I would be happy to explain my setup if you would like:

- First, get some steel wool (can be purchased at a hardware store, though I found it at WalMart - grade 0000 worked well for me)
- Then, find a way to house / cage it so that it does not fly away when you spin it (I use a kitchen whisk).
- You want to attach the end of the whisk to a cable (some use metal coat hangers, which I have not tried)
- Then, light the wool. I use the end of a 9V battery to ignite it (touch the two prong end to the wool and it should spark, which is enough to start spinning)
- Spin it and the oxygen with set it off, and it will rain sparks

Couple of suggestions:
Wear a hat, long sleeves, and goggles couldn't hurt... have a fire extinguisher for extra safety. Do NOT try this near anything flammable ~
Settings: 10s+, 100 ISO, f/8... experiment a bit

Could have done this in 1 exposure, but I was lazy. Besides, I was the spinner, photographer AND the subject so I would have had a tough time. I ended up just using a second exposure for me in the foreground.

very well done and great technique, thanks for sharing it! The sparks add a fluidity, a sense of movement.

Thats pretty creative..whisk...lol. Good Job!

Ok yeah, those are both freaking awesome. Could you post the the separate shots from the first post? Would be interesting to see how you merged them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back