Eye Stitches, not for the faint of heart

Dinardy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
C&C is welcome.

My brother Mathew was involved in an off road accident.
He was out riding a local trail on his Yamaha dual sport; we usually don't go out alone, but he did...
Sometime early in the evening the "in shock" call comes in...

Matt: "I think I F***** my eye"
Me: "what, which one?"
Matt: "the left"
Me: "can you see out of it?"
Matt: "no"
Me: "uhhhh oh, are you hurt anywhere else?"
Matt: "no"
Me: "on my way"

At this point I got the exact location and headed out in the pick-up, on the way there I called in to have the medic meet us at the trail head.

When I arrived on site... it was pretty gruesome, I'll save you the details but it was bloody.

He was taken to a local hospital for a few hours surgery.

There was multiple pieces off "something" that shot through his contact, into his iris.

OH! Why wasn't he wearing goggles? He said he took them off for a split second to adjust the brake, and didn't put them back on after he started rolling.

I guess the Moral of the story. ALWAYS WEAR PROTECTION!

Matts-eyes by A A Jones, on Flickr

Matts-eye by A A Jones, on Flickr

How cool is medical tech these days?

Last edited:
My eyes started watering when I read the subject line. When I saw the photos, they went river wild. Cool pics.

I used to race vintage dirt bikes every Winter. Tons of fun, but super dangerous especially without the right gear. It's strange too because I would never crash or injure myself until the minute I decided to ride without riding boots or a chest protector (I ALWAYS wore my gear while racing, just sometimes not while trail riding). I'm lucky I didn't break my feet or ankles while riding without boots because it can happen very easily.
I had no idea you could get stitches in your eye. Can he still not see out of that eye?

I used to race vintage dirt bikes every Winter. Tons of fun, but super dangerous especially without the right gear. It's strange too because I would never crash or injure myself until the minute I decided to ride without riding boots or a chest protector (I ALWAYS wore my gear while racing, just sometimes not while trail riding). I'm lucky I didn't break my feet or ankles while riding without boots because it can happen very easily.
I had no idea you could get stitches in your eye. Can he still not see out of that eye?

Haha I always wanted to flat track the vintage bikes but never got to it.
We wore typical high rise boots, gloves, helmets and goggles but never roost or shins.
As brothers we spent countless hours out on the trails with limited "serious" injuries, nothing ever like this.
I broke my right foot a couple times, even in boots lol
He now has limited vision, the optometrist is fairly optimistic though, he believes full sight will be restored within a month or two.
The stitches are gnarly, I cringe looking at them.

Bump, just in case anyone missed this horror story.

Sent from my iPhone

Most reactions

Back