Eye to eye, Mt. Rainier

Dinardy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took the evening to drive out to the Highrock Lookout trail head and climb to the fire lookout. This lookout is sitting at about 5,685ft; Perched on a shear cliff. The trail is about a 1,350ft gain and can be achieved fairly easily and quickly in the summer months. We ran into a few snow patches while trekking to the top today, although we made it trouble free with little gear.

I took a few pictures of the mountain and surrounding area, but it was GUSTY! up there today... Enough for me to not get anywhere near the edge. I have a several more shots to process, but its bed time.

We were about 40min out for sunset when we left. But the wind just kept picking up, and we only brought one headlamp. (The trail had large slopes of ice and snow and we were slightly ill-prepared for those conditions) I'll be headed back up here in the next few weeks for another go.

1. Color
Highrock-8286 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

1. B&W
Highrock-8286-3 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

Highrock-8003 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

Highrock-8009 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

Highrock-8032 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

4. In Color
Highrock-8032-2 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr
Highrock-8291 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

Highrock-8120 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

7. Just past this ledge is a very, very healthy drop.
Highrock-8268 by A.A.Jones, on Flickr

Last edited:
Magnificent mountain and you were able to capture it. Love it.

Thank you! I agree, it was the selling point in retaining my residence in this beautiful state!

Looks like the paramount logo is this the same mountain?

I believe that's Ben Lomond in Utah! But I'm not sure...

Magnificent mountain and you were able to capture it. Love it.

Thank you! I agree, it was the selling point in retaining my residence in this beautiful state!

Looks like the paramount logo is this the same mountain?

I believe that's Ben Lomond in Utah! But I'm not sure...

:) either way it's a great capture not sure if I like it in b+w but that's just me. Good work

Nice set you've got here. Lovely mountain!
Only thing is that I feel like nmb4 is a bit underexposed. I get that it's supposed to be a silhouette, but the person blends in too much with the lower-left part of the background.
I feel like if you just moved your position a bit lower and to the left you'd get more of the sky and the bright parts of the mountain in the background, which would've made that silhouette "pop" a bit more.
But all in all a good set. :D

Nice set. The shots you took with the Tokina are very crisp. I have that lens and it pairs nicely with the D7100.
The shot with the 80-200 D (#2) seems a bit soft to me.

Probably a matter of taste, but I might have adjusted the curves a touch to get a little more black.
Looks like haze may have cut down on your contrast.

Nice set. The shots you took with the Tokina are very crisp. I have that lens and it pairs nicely with the D7100.
The shot with the 80-200 D (#2) seems a bit soft to me.

Probably a matter of taste, but I might have adjusted the curves a touch to get a little more black.
Looks like haze may have cut down on your contrast.

This is the first time I have really used the Tokina for landscape. I'm pretty impressed with it.

My 80-200mm is a little soft, I haven't fine tuned it... which reminds me I should do that today. A lot of my images shot with that lens have been coming off soft.

Yeah it was a bit hazy, but better than the week before. I actually bumped up the blacks quite a bit trying to get some more contrast in there. I'll play with it a little more

Nice set you've got here. Lovely mountain!
Only thing is that I feel like nmb4 is a bit underexposed. I get that it's supposed to be a silhouette, but the person blends in too much with the lower-left part of the background.
I feel like if you just moved your position a bit lower and to the left you'd get more of the sky and the bright parts of the mountain in the background, which would've made that silhouette "pop" a bit more.
But all in all a good set. :D

Yeah I wasn't totally sold on that silhouette, but I didn't have a whole lot of room to work with. I just bumped the highlights so that he could pop out a little more.

Last edited:
Just purchased the Tokina 11-16 for a trip to Chicago and glad to see it works well. I have the D5200 and I hope it pairs well with my camera. Nice shots!

Just purchased the Tokina 11-16 for a trip to Chicago and glad to see it works well. I have the D5200 and I hope it pairs well with my camera. Nice shots!

I am pretty blown away by it. It's heavy and I love the quick AF/MF switch. I have the first version, but I could imagine the gen II would at the very least have better coatings on top of the internal motor.

Beautiful set of photos!! Great work :)

Yeah, these turned out pretty good. A coherent set of pics! I liked the silhouette shot done in B&W. Let's get together soon and shoot the Oregon Coast!

Most reactions

Back