Eyes wide shut

Digital Matt said:
In all fairness, you should look at a photo for more than 1 second if you are going to seriously critique it. Photos are meant to be explored. I think the connection is made fairly easily if you look into the photo and look for a meaning, and not just an aesthetic.

Well to inform you I did look at this photo for more then 1 second! My eyes in this photo went right toward the girl in the photo. If I am going to be honest with someone then I will give tell them what "I" see in a photo not what someone else might see. Thats why people feel different about different photos.

I think this photo is excellent! Very unique and I personally think the composition is right on. I wouldn't change a thing, except for maybe the black border, but even that's not a strong negative for me. Man, I just keep wanting to look at it. Good job!

There's a balance issue here for me as well. I'm not sure quite what I would change, but it's probably a couple of things added together: there's a tilt, she's facing out of the frame, and her position. Changing any one of those could affect it.

If you want to try a neat trick, flip your images horizontally. It can help you look at your image with a new eye, and you might see things about it you otherwise wouldn't notice.

Overall, it's a cool image. A change or two could make it a great image for me.

I'm not disagreeing with markc, but it's the unbalanced feel that I like about this. I think this shot is going to be a preference for most. I like shots that are out of the norm...so this completely works for me :)

There are several little nitpik 'rules' that haven't been followed, as mark mentioned. And I know you're not condeming the image for them mark ;) For me, it's all those little subtle things that add to this shot.

There's definitely something to be said for making the viewer uncomfortable, especially for an image like this.

In this case, it's more about where my eyes go. For me I think the image becomes more about the door than the girl or the painted eyes, because they are hard to keep my eyes on. If she were obscuring the door more, it wouldn't be as much an issue.

I don't want it to sound like I think anything is wrong with it. This is just my reaction to it. It is growing on me.

Do you know that famous drawing in which you can see an old woman or a pretty young girl? Well, it's like I know this picture is trying to show me the pretty girl, but I keep seeing the old woman. But I'm not really sure why that is.

pascal

Thank You all, for an outstanding response, and suggestions that I'am keeping in my mind for the future shots on 35 mm focal length.

As it is about center composition, and options to move the girl in either way -
it Wasn't so simple, while composing this shot. Because - in the back of the wall, there was a white air conditioning outlet, so the only thing I could do was to "cover", hide it with the girl's head - to have the black wall all the way " clear " as a homogenous background. So I was kind of limited by the constrution of the wall it self.

As it comes to the door - I have to agree that it kind of disturbes, the dof game i tried to implement in here, and I wish the door wasn't there - but I am rather sceptic with radical Photoshop treatment, like stampling the door or whatsoever....

As it is about the shot, it's just the beginig for me, of a completely new game - with 35 mm lens, and shallow depth of field. I did this photo 3 months ago in Zakopane. And wish to follow in that tradition.

The frame it self is kind of lazyness act of me :blushing:, because it's straight out of my galleries, where all the pictures has similar frames (they look much butter on black background)

Thank You all once again for Your time and comments
Regards Anthony .

It's funny, but once I looked at it with those areas burned in, I discovered that it wasn't the door itself that was bothering me. All those things I mentioned were just ideas, as I was trying to poke around and find out what was going on in my head. I didn't know which one it might actually be. With those brighter spots toned down and not stealing my eye and driving it to the door, the door becomes more part of the background, but still important. In my imagination, it's the way she came in to this dream world. Or maybe a way for something to sneak up on her. Either way, I think it adds to the ethereal feel of the shot.

Like I said, I think it's a close step away from being a great shot, and with that small change (burning), it's there for me.

Most reactions

Back