F-117s fly into retirement

By far one of the coolest planes ever. besides the old ww2 mustangs :) nice pics

Awesome pictures, as mentioned the F-22 Raptor is going to be taking its place and soon the F-35 will become the primary strike fighter for the Navy, and if I'm not mistaken the Airforce is going to be purchasing some as well. Either way the 2 upcoming aircraft are absolutely remarkable in what they can do.

Great shots Mules!

I hate to see them retired but apparently the F22 and F35 have all the stealth capability and better manuverability of the F117 and are apparently cheaper to operate.

This plane, along with the old F-4, proved that with enough power, you can make a brick fly!!!

That is exactly right. I was just down at NAS Jacksonville at their flight training center and that is what I was told. I was also told that the F117 flew for 10 years before the government ever admitted that it existed.

Good information is a little difficult to come by but it seems that 4 F-117s will fly by Plant 42 in Palmdale California on their way to Tonopah where they will mothballed. The fly-by and retirement ceremony at Plant 42 (based on the best info I can find) will be between 10am and 11am on Monday morning.

I've only ever seen one in the flesh (so to speak) back in November 1991 some months after the 1st Gulf War at Dhahran air base. I was able to get only yards from it and the stealth design had a weird affect on human eyes too. It was very difficult to get a true perspective on what shape it was - the finish just seemed to suck light into it. Impressive if ultimately lethal piece of kit.

Lovely shots.

If you are a fan of Wikipedia, that one with the flag would make a great addition to the wiki for the plane.

Awesome shots and yes the F-22 Raptors are replacing pretty much the entire aircraft fleet. But the warthog (A10) coolest plane in my eyes ever.

Most reactions

Back