f-stops on new lens...

Dan39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
On this new lens I got the f stop settings, the lower 2 are different colors with little triangles below, and then theres another set of number all in green on right side of settings triangles below

heres a drawing, wats up wit this? all other lenses i got just have all the settings in black... no extra things... and the 4.5 below the other number that has line below it is lot smaller than other numbers...

fstops8po.jpg

and heres a pic of actual lens, tho the f-stop settings are hard to see...
http://www.jay-tepper.com/eBay/June16/soligor90-2301.JPG

now that i think im thinkin that the different colored 2 low settings are so that i can jus see them better and tell that they are 2 different settings, like on my other lenses at 1st sometimes i thought that 5.6 was actually 2 different settings, 5 and 6, but i still dont know what the whole set of numbers in green on right side are for

after messing around some more i hit a button and moved a little thingy and the adapter mount came off end. with adapter mount off, the f-stop settings can be moved over also to the green numbers, tho it doesnt seem to do anything extra except the same thing as the other set of numbers. maybe it is just an extra thingy for lefties? lol

I'm assuming it's a zoom lens, and that being the case, I think that as a zoom lenses widest aperture on full zoom is different than a zoom lens at the shortest zoom, then the different settings would be for wahtever zoom you are on....I think ??? [be careful of the little "thingy"] it must be the seat ejection button as in jet planes !!!

yes it is zoom, 90-230mm, and thats what i was also talkin about with some other people, but which set of numbers i use for which zoom? and will it effect it that much? cause with the adapter, only the 1 set works

The reasons for the numbers being on both sides and going in opposite directions is that they are a depth of field scale.

Get the object in focsu and then look at the scale. If you are shooting at F8 for instance your distance scale will show you the distance to the tack sharp point (object) and everything else between the 2 F8 marks will be in acceptable focus.

The second f4.5 is for using infrared film.

I hope this helps.

LWW

The sideways 8 on your distance scale also is designating infinity.

Put another way, if you want to shoot a landscape at F8 then set the infinity mark to align with one of the F8 marks, Then look at the other F8 mark. It will be telling you that everything from XX to infinity will be in good focus.

LWW

LWW said:
The reasons for the numbers being on both sides and going in opposite directions is that they are a depth of field scale.

Get the object in focsu and then look at the scale. If you are shooting at F8 for instance your distance scale will show you the distance to the tack sharp point (object) and everything else between the 2 F8 marks will be in acceptable focus.

The second f4.5 is for using infrared film.

I hope this helps.

LWW
But if you look at the picture it's clearly not a depth-of-field scale. The numbers he's talking about are on the aperture ring (the silver ring closer to the mount). The DOF scale is in the middle of the barrel, next to the focusing ring.

I once saw a lens with an aperture ring similar to this (it was on a friend's camera), but unfortunately I have no idea what it means. :confused:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back