F22

I've owned a Bronica SQ model or two since the early 1990's. A 75mm Bronica lens is a pretty good lens, and does NOT suffer awfully from diffraction effects when stopped down to f/22. The 120 film and the roughly 6x6 cm square image means that f/22 is nowhere NEAR as bad as the tiny, crop-sensor Canon 20D image shown in the above-linked web article; as was mentioned above by a smart British film shooter, on a large-format camera, like a 4x5 inch film format camera, f/22 is NOT a diffraction-limited f/stop.

Even is you're shooting with a 6x4.5cm rollfilm back, do not worry about shooting at f/22 is you need the DOF.

Diffraction is mostly theoretical on 120 rollfilm, and a 75mm lens used on 120 film _REQUIRES_ that you stop the lens down to f/22 or f/32 for a LOT of scenes, just to get the desired depth of field.

Do not worry about using f/22 on 120 rollfilm; it is vastly more-critical to have sufficient depth of field than it is to worry about theoretically losing a smidgeon of maximum sharpness potential.

In that case I will do f22, 16, and 12. Thank you for the advice.

Dave

Hehe

Ok, I wasn't looking at the lens. I remember seeing f22, f16, and just picked a number slightly smaller. Sorry to trigger the need to compose a bolded correction.

Bolded and underlined. :)

The light meter I have just shows the lumens. It is a $20 meter, but reviewed to be accurate. I found Available Light App Get Available Light - Microsoft Store

It does a decent job of giving a range of shutter speeds on a table of aperture settings.

Anyone know of a better app for entering in light conditions and getting shutter speed settings?

Here are the so-called best light meter applications for Android.

Best light meter apps for android (Top 100) – AppCrawlr

I had Pocket Light Meter, and really,really liked the "log note" feature it had, as well as the ability to snap a photo of the scene, with the exposure data recorded! I could then download the photos to my computer. I used it with a Yashica 635 model 120-rollfilm TLR camera with good exposures!

I had Pocket Light Meter, and really,really liked the "log note" feature it had, as well as the ability to snap a photo of the scene, with the exposure data recorded! I could then download the photos to my computer. I used it with a Yashica 635 model 120-rollfilm TLR camera with good exposures!

Light Meter is slick. I walked around the house with both it and my handheld light meter, then outside in full sun and shade and they were both reading the same EV. Thanks for the link.

Dave

Light Meter is slick. I walked around the house with both it and my handheld light meter, then outside in full sun and shade and they were both reading the same EV. Thanks for the link.

Dave

Yes, that was my experience...hard to believe for some people that a smart phone application type of light meter is any good, but for me, the results from my Minolta flash/ambient meter in reflected light mode,matched the smart phone light meter app's readings to within 1/3 EV, across a wide range of scenes. You are most welcome for the link.

I use it for longer shuttertimes.
For example by night, when you want to capture movement, or lights will show up as stars etc...
It's indeed not the sharpest point of the lens... better take F8 or so, but then you'll need to go for even lower ISO to get longer exposures.

The question is way to simplified.

This is why all of the above answeres are correct and not correct at the same time.

The variables that make up why you would use one aperture than another are numerous.
I once tried to make up a brief explanation of the basics of exposure....
But there will always be someone to say: "no, it's not correct because this is missing or that is an exception"

Here:
BLVDi _______________ [^^]

Sometimes for extra kick-a$$ sunstars, otherwise rarely if ever...

Most reactions

Back