Facebook. A top 5 - most hated company.

Doesn't surprise me at all. I only use facebook because it's the only way I can ever get ahold of some of my friends quickly... they're always on it, but don't always answer their phone or respond to texts.

I personally can't stand facebook's customer service, or the way that they treat their users. But at the same time... it's free. We (user's) are not their customers. They really don't care about us because there are enough of us that they can afford to piss off a bunch of us. Their customers are the companies posting ads on the site. They are the people facebook is focused on keeping happy. Not the users.

I registered on FB a long time ago, solely to keep my username from being snagged by someone else.

Never been back.

I deleted my Facebook account a couple months ago and havn't regretted it yet!

From what I've heard, you can never truly delete Facebook. If you ever want to back to the site, which a lot of people do, it's a click or two away.

They keep all your information. Even information that you don't know they have. There was news story about some guy over in Ireland who had Facebook Subpoena'd for invasion of privacy. When Facebook coughed up all the info they had on him, it was scary the sheer amount of personal information they had on him.

Remember, facebook doesn't end at Facebook.com. The site embeds "Super cookies" in your browser that record all your web surfing behavior. Besides that, with the rollout of "Timeline" Facebook is making a shameless grab at your personal information before Facebook existed.

What kind of diapers did your mom buy for you? They'll find that out somehow, and sell this info to advertisers, so you'll buy the same diapers for your kids.

Facebook is constantly gathering your personal information. And selling it. Make no mistake.

It doesn't surprise me that they are the #1 most hated company. But as Destin says, everyone is there, so it's an easy way to keep in touch.

I deleted my Facebook account a couple months ago and havn't regretted it yet!
Facebook is constantly gathering your personal information. And selling it. Make no mistake.

I think this has changed a bit. Privacy: Deactivating, Deleting, and Memorializing Accounts - Facebook Help Center | Facebook

Seems like by default they keep all your info in case you want to come back but if you want everything permanently deleted, there's a form to submit. But yes, the privacy problems are a major issue with FB. It also annoys me that it's always facebook this, facebook that on TV, everywhere your friggin' go. As an example, car makers don't inform their viewers on commercials to go to THIER own website anymore... they instruct you to go to facebook! WTF?! Why would anyone pay to advertise for ANOTHER company?!

It doesn't surprise me that they are the #1 most hated company. But as Destin says, everyone is there, so it's an easy way to keep in touch.

So are phone calls and emails. If I don't have that information on a person, then they probably weren't someone I'd ever talk to anyway.

Top 5 web sites in the world for hits, or prob #1 by now over google.

That $#@%ing FB!
biggrin.gif

Not a real shocker to me! It's one of those things I love to hate. It's a necessary evil when you have teenagers...
And I can't seem to remember my own anniversary, so it's rather handy to remind us both...

Must admit I mostly only use it because most people actually update it. Emails change a lot (esp when you are younger - shifting from school to uni to work etc...) as do addresses and phone numbers. Facebook however remains fairly static so its easy to find and reconnet to people (which was the sole concept of the original facebook).

Its main problems for me are:
1) Every single time they update they redo all the menus and options, a simple interface becomes highly complex as they hide or move things around a major pain

2) The people that run it appear to have 0 understanding/respect for privacy

Most reactions

Back