Fair Winds and Following Seas

kwjones

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
DSC00101.jpg

Here's that sun flare problem that I was talking about. I guess I need to find some 37mm filters for the camera to see if I can tone it down a bit next time.

Other than that, any suggestions?

The title is a phrase used in the US Navy when a sailor retires, seemed kind of fitting for the sailboat as well...

Kevin

The picture seems pretty washed out. Maybe a slightly faster shutter speed or tighter aperture?

I tried changing the color/contrast and cropped it to change the aspect ratio. It seemed to help a bit. What do you think?

sb_edit.jpg

Daniel

There was a lot of smoke in the air from the wildfires a few miles away. I'm thinkin I really need to get some post editing software...that looks pretty good.

Unfortunately, my camera is a little old as far as digital cameras go (5 years), and it just doesn't have the ability to change shutter, apeture or ISO. I take that back, I think there's two different F/stop settings that I can use.

So is the sun flare as big of a problem as I think it is, or am I just picky?

Thanks,

Kevin

kwjones said:
So is the sun flare as big of a problem as I think it is, or am I just picky?
I personally don't mind it. In fact, If it were me, I'd probably use it to my advantage and make it more pronounced. Or clear. It's kinda blobby and blurry. I'm not sure how I'd pull it off, though. I am still learning a lot of this stuff. I'd probably fsck with it until it worked.

Good luck, though. I think you are on the right track. At least it seems you are asking all the right questions. (I say that because I'm interested in the answers to them, too.) Hopefully a more experienced photographer will swoop in and straighten us out and disappear into a mysterious haze.

Daniel

Do you remember the aperture you used for this shot? I don't have a problem at all with this bit of flare - I personally think flare adds drama to certain scenes. If you don't like it, try a lens hood. What I don't like here is the SHAPE of this sun. I am thinking you must have had a small aperture here; 11-16 maybe? And it squished this sun into a star-shape that is attractive with street lights, but for me, the sun should be....round. Just personal preference.

I would meter off the sky for shots like this, keeping the aperture as wide as you can. Then compose the shot and shoot. And bracket by half stops in each direction, and see which one does the trick. I'm no expert by any means, but I think you might like the results better. :D

Most reactions

Back