fake bokeh

sorry missed why you were doing it. I think you cant do real looking bokah side by side anyways. Try darkening and lightening, vignette, crops, etc.

Yeah, you can't do this at all and have it look realistic. They are side by side and would logically be equally blurry or sharp.

This might be just me, but in Jaszek's photo above, the blurred kid looks like he's 12 feet tall because the fake bokeh seems to be pushing him deeper into the frame.

fake bokah is so....fake. Why not just shoot it with bokah...total time saver!

I did but since the green kid was the same distance away from me, he was in focus too, and I like the shot, other than the fact that the other kid is focused too

Yeah, you can't do this at all and have it look realistic. They are side by side and would logically be equally blurry or sharp.

This might be just me, but in Jaszek's photo above, the blurred kid looks like he's 12 feet tall because the fake bokeh seems to be pushing him deeper into the frame.

Ya, I see that too. It looks alright, I think that the blurring looks so fake because it has a smooth look to it that bokeh doesn't have

I tried what GeneralBenson said and I just did it a little on the other kids, I htink its a step up from my previous attempt.

IMG_0265.png

The problem is that with people that close together and a shot that wide, there is just not a really easy way to make it look like realistic bokeh. I spent a minute paging through some of my track and field shots that were done with much longer lenses and even those shots don't have the bokeh that you're looking for from the blur tool. Try working from different angles and locations-- shoot from the front of the runners so that their faces are the subjects-- then you won't have to worry about isolating one of them. Or preset your focus as close as you can get and snap off shots as they come by-- getting as close as you can will up your blur and give you much cleaner isolated shots of runners.

edit: opening the lens up to 1.8 would certainly help as well.

Last edited:
You might try a fake tilt shift with the runners next to one another. I've toyed with this method but have thus far only finished one image that I really think it benefited:

Fake model photography

The tutorial centers around making landscapes look like miniatures, but my application was on a person standing next to a very large and very in focus fence.

It's a long shot.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back