Fall color Meet up?

DepthAfield

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Are there any plans in the works for a Fall color Meet-up and photo shoot? If so, where?

If not, I’d like to suggest the awesome Arrowhead region of Minnesota. Specifically, the North Shore of Lake Superior! Imagine thousands of acres of vibrant yellow, orange, green and red foliage. And the waterfalls… Oh My God, the waterfalls!! Rushing water that is deafening and nothing less than spectacular.

The wife and I know this area very well and would be more than happy to act as guides! I guarantee seeing places that the typical tourist never experiences.

Just a thought…

Historically, the best colors on the North Shore are late September. PM me if you are interested, and I’ll provide links to providers of local lodging.

Some of us are planning to go to Boston in the fall. I mean, it's not really specifically for fall colors, but if we are able to plan it at the right time (depends on school and financial situations) we'll get some nice colors. :)

Boston is good! I love the Northeast! Will the Boston trip include a drive into New Hampshire or Vermont?

DepthAfield said:
Boston is good! I love the Northeast! Will the Boston trip include a drive into New Hampshire or Vermont?

Not for us, but it's a ways away right now...it's possible other people will get on board between now and then that will be interested.

Right now it's me, Joe (clarinetjwd) and sky (unimaxium). Sara (Mommyof4boys) , I'm not sure if she's going to go at the same as us, or just plan and hope it coincides. I know she definitely wanted to get fall colors though, so she very well may be interested in doing something like that.

I dunno though...it's a long ways away, and we don't really haven anything set. For all of us, it's hard to set...both Joe and Sky will be in school, and they'll have things going on that we'll need to work around, and I need to get some damn money saved! :lol:

DepthAfield said:

It sure could :D I'm in NH and I've lived in VT so I'm all for that!

core_17 said:
Not for us, but it's a ways away right now... I need to get some damn money saved! :lol:

It would be a shame to visit Mass. without including a Fall color expedition… But I can certainly appreciate the costs involved. JeeBuzz, it’s all I can muster to save enough cabbage to make the trip to Minnesota’s North Shore a few times a year, and I’m only a few hundred miles south (Twin Cities).

DepthAfield said:
It would be a shame to visit Mass. without including a Fall color expedition… But I can certainly appreciate the costs involved. JeeBuzz, it’s all I can muster to save enough cabbage to make the trip to Minnesota’s North Shore a few times a year, and I’m only a few hundred miles south (Twin Cities).

Heheh...well, the guys might pop in and discredit everything I said. They might want to, as well, but I'm guessing, from what we've talked about so far, that it will be difficult, as we won't be able to be there long. Who knows! It's still several months away! :D

Alison said:
It sure could :D I'm in NH and I've lived in VT so I'm all for that!

Rub it in why don’t you… Sheesh!:wink:

Alison, your location info indicates that you are “In NH but Texas bound!” I’m assuming that means ‘bound, gagged and forced at gunpoint’, as I can’t imagine anyone voluntarily leaving New Hampshire for Texas.

No offence intended to the Texan membership here on TPF, but the parts of Texas I’ve seen, would be best returned to Mexico. San Antonio is a possible exception to that opinion.:wink:

:lol: Not exactly voluntary but not under duress, either! We've moving for my husband's job, his company here shut down when the owner retired. The economy here is falling and housing prices are soaring so it's not the best combination.

Where are you in MN? I lived there for 14 years :)

Alison said:
:lol: Not exactly voluntary but not under duress, either! We've moving for my husband's job, his company here shut down when the owner retired. The economy here is falling and housing prices are soaring so it's not the best combination.

Where are you in MN? I lived there for 14 years :)

Bummer. Sorry to hear about the hubbies job. Unfortunately, job loss is a disease that is ravaging the entire country these days. Hope the move to Texas brings brighter days for you and family.

Where in Minnesota am I? I’m in the bustling metropolis of Farmington, about 18 miles south of the Twin Cities. Where did you live while here?

A fall colors trip sounds like a good idea :)

I still have no idea why my schedule's going to be like this fall, but it would be great to have a trip to see the fall colors while in the area if at all possible. I'm going to be living in Boston at that time (going to college there... woo!) so if we can't organize it into the meetup then perhaps at a later date.

I'll definitely keep it in mind :)

It would be great to get a fall colors trip going. MN would be totally preferable for me as it's a lot closer and I could possibly make it there, VT and Mass are a bit of a stretch from NE. If I come up to shoot photos, you better believe I will be bringing my fishing gear too. Not a bad idea to try and pull some fish from 1/10,000 lakes at least. :)

It would be groovy if a TPF member or three could join us for a Fall shoot!

Historically, the last week of September has been peak for North Shore color.

I’ve never fished the area, but I’m told the fishing is very good… There are plenty of rivers and lakes to choose from!

Check out the following link for more info on the area.
http://www.northshorefallcolors.com/

I should note that lodging at the ‘major name’ hotels in the area is often difficult to find and somewhat expensive during the Fall color season on the North Shore.

Cathy (the wife) and I will likely be based the Silver Bay area for the Fall shoot. Silver Bay is central to most of the local color. I recommend lodging there for anyone planning to join us.

Our Fall excursion to the North Shore is always a hoot. Eyeball to viewfinder all day, regardless of weather (bring your raingear)! Be prepared for a few early morning sunrise shoots!! Cocktails and photo conversation at night.

I like the northeast idea! *lives in Maine* Plenty of good places around here to shoot foliage, which is why we have so many tourists in the fall as well!

Most reactions

Back