Family Photography with Teens?

Katie9715

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm a relatively new photographer, certainly new to anything with profit involved, and seem to have been thrown into the deep end.

A couple weeks ago, I forced* one of my best friends into posing for portraits so I could expand my portfolio. He and his mom loved the pics and she wants me to do family portraits for them. She's offered to pay me, which I'm entirely on board with, for obvious reasons.

But I have no idea what I'm doing.

It'll be mom, dad and two teenage boys (16 and 17). Everything I can find online is with little kids, so I have no clue how to pose them, or what will look "natural." I'm definitely interested in doing this, but could use some help with a jumping off point.

*By "forced" I mean that I half-jokingly said "Dude, you need to let me take portraits of you," and he said "that would be AWESOME!" so we did the thing.

Surely your local library has some books on portraiture. I know that the Kodak company published several, and every library I have visited over the last 30 years had at least two to three books on portraiture. Online, the Sekonic light meter company has several good tutorials hosted on YouTube. One I like had an older pro, Frank Credenza (Credenza?? Lorenza??) explaining the masculine and feminine posing concepts for a two-person man+wife type shot. Keep in mind, the two teens are adults as far as poses go.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back