Family Photo's

Marctwo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.marctwo.co.uk
Although this isn't quite the usual critique request, I do think it belongs here - I may be wrong.

The problem is, I sometimes find it very difficult to decide whether a picture stands on it's own merrits and holds unrelated third party interest when the family/friend context is taken away.

For example, in this first image it's quite easy for me to see that people wouldn't need any association with the subject or myself to enjoy it.

river_dance.jpg

However, the next image is in a very grey area and although as a proud father it's just as wall-worthy to me, I really can't decide if it would hold any interest for a complete stranger.

maddi_photog.jpg

This is a question that crops up quite a bit for me and I'm sure it would also apply to many of you, too; So please be honest and help me gain some objectivity.

despite the fact you have written family photo's I will comment :p

ok the first image seems over sharpened but has a great story and conveys it very well, the girl playing in the water. I really like it for some reason, the pose is great, similar to walking down to the sea on a stoney beach.

The 2nd one however, I too am not sure about, for it to be interesting to the neutral it could possibly benfit from B&W giving it a timeless feel and thus accentuating the fact that it is a little girl taking a picture, which in my mind looks so sweet. I'm not sure if I conveyed what I mean very well as upon re reading, it seems to make no sense whatsoever.

Wow, I see what you mean about over-sharpened - it didn't even occur to me as I didn't sharpen it. It's actually due to my (obviously not very good) resizing technique. I've re-done it now using a standard bicubic resize - I've had to sharpen it now though. :lol:

I tend to steer away from B&W unless I'm trying to do something very emotive - but I can certainly see where you're coming from.

Thanks for the input.

The action of the first frame is child fun. You captured an excellent moment!!! In the second frame the the approach seems different. Maybe a shot only a father would love. Keep in mind that kids are curious creatures. I would try and explore that avenue.

Cheers Craig.

craig said:
In the second frame the the approach seems different.
The approach is different with just about every shot I take. :D

craig said:
Keep in mind that kids are curious creatures. I would try and explore that avenue.
There are so many situations where kids will create a broad appeal/interest in pictures, from innocence and security to enthusiasm and curiosity; And the negatives of these, of course. I think you generally need to be prepared to catch whatever you're presented with.

craig said:
Maybe a shot only a father would love.
The more I look at this image here, the more I think it's the realism and lack of stylised/spectacular processing that appeals to me as it recreates my memories of the moment more accurately. This would also make it more boring and meaningless for the neutral viewer. :lol:

Yes, I'm feeling much more objective now. ;)

Thanks all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back