truephotoga

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.truephotoga.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,
Would like to hear how others would setup lighting for a family of 3-4. I have two Alien Bees 800 strobes, Canon 430exII speedlight, large softbox, umbrella, and strip light. This will be shot indoors and I'd like to get nice soft/even light (no shadows). Thanks.

While there are occasions you want totally flat (shadowless) lighting, it's not usually desirable in portraiture. Shadows provide depth and definition to the image and are what give it dimensionality. The lighting will depend to a great extent on how you're posing them, but assuming a 2x2 set-up, I would go with one AB in your SB high and 20-30 degrees off of lens axis high as the key, and the second AB shooting into the umbrella 30-40 degrees off of the opposite lens axis 1/2 - 2/3 stop below key as the fill. Use the bare speedlight as your background light, or, if necessary a hair light. If you want truly flat lighting then set both lights about 30 degrees off of lens axis at the same power and same distance (you'll have to tweak it slightly because you're using two different modifiers) from the subject.

Or depending on the size of the room, you can sethe ab800 in a corner and bounce the flash.

While there are occasions you want totally flat (shadowless) lighting, it's not usually desirable in portraiture.
If you're going for the "safe" portrait that can be passed out to family and friends for Xmas fillers or personalized cards, the OP might be on to something. I say that while biting my tounge, down hard. I happened to witness just such an occassion last year when my parents did their yearly shoot. They donate to their local volunteer fire department and one of the rewards, other than quick response and free transport to local hospitals, they are offered free portrait sessions. The photog's setup was AB400's about 24" either side of the camera and angled slightly towards the center slightly shot through white brollys. This flat lighting setup does offer a nearly shadowless portrait and renders the subjects nicely lit and prominent. It's unoffensive and lacks drama. Just what grandma wants to see. << read untrained eye >> It was a cattle call with one group sitting at the pre-determind distance, smile, snap, snap, snap. NEXT! It was a soul sucking experience to witness.

Shadows provide depth and definition to the image and are what give it dimensionality. The lighting will depend to a great extent on how you're posing them, but assuming a 2x2 set-up, I would go with one AB in your SB high and 20-30 degrees off of lens axis high as the key, and the second AB shooting into the umbrella 30-40 degrees off of the opposite lens axis 1/2 - 2/3 stop below key as the fill. Use the bare speedlight as your background light, or, if necessary a hair light.....
This is true and will work nicely.

kundalini, you hit the nail on the head. These will be family shots of military members at an awards banquet. They are not looking for artistic and dramatic styles, they would like photos they can send to grandma and other family. Thank you guys for the suggestions!! :)

Just what grandma wants to see. << read untrained eye >> It was a cattle call with one group sitting at the pre-determind distance, smile, snap, snap, snap. NEXT! It was a soul sucking experience to witness.

Gahhh... sounds about as interesting as.... muzak. But, I guess you need to always consider your audience.

If you don't know how to light a portrait, what are you doing with two Alienbees? "No shadows" is vague. Do you mean no shadows on the background or no shadows anywhere? The most basic setup is one 4x6 soft box horizontal in the butterfly setup, meaning directly in front but overhead pointing down at an angle. This produces even lighting and minimizes glare on people's glasses, medals, awards. It also throws shadows down behind the subjects out of view. If you blend the flash well there should be minimal shadows but if the ratio is too strong you want to avoid shadows from noses touching the lips.

Most reactions

Back