Family Portrait Photography Pricing

ceejtank

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey All,

I'm recently new to the "charging for my services" world in relation to photography. I have done professional MMA events, Weddings, sweet 16 parties, graduation parties....

however I got asked today if I would take a family portrait. I definitely will. My concern comes here... any guidance on how to price it? Normally for an event I would charge X per hour (depending on the event). However in this case, I'm not sure how to go about it. I asked her specifically what they would want, how many pictures, etc. She said she was unaware on the details, so if anyone could provide something like, "for 3 poses (that you'll actually give them)" charge X amount of money... would be good.. or just some guidance on it.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate the assistance as always.

You are asking a question that is nearly impossible for us to answer. There is a multitude of things that go into pricing a photo shoot. It starts with your Cost Of Doing Business (CODB) and your Cost Of Goods (COG) but also includes your talent and time, the price of the IMAGE itself... It's an incredibly personal to each business price.
Best thing I can tell you is figure your costs to produce the image (COG and CODB) and then your artistic fee for the image itself.
Look for answers by Tammy on this subject. She's got some awesome well put insight on how to go about pricing that may help you further.

Awesome. Will look into it.

Thanks for the feedback.

My standard answer to this is "What is your CODB?"! All pricing should be based on that.

If you are only doing this part time, and have the majority of your income from another source (or if your SO provides the majority of income in your household).. that may not be important to you. In which case, charge whatever you want... check on pricing that is appropriate for your area, and then modify that based on your skill level, and your ability to deliver a decent product.

Do you even have adequate equipment for shooting portraiture? (lighting, lenses, etc...)

My standard answer to this is "What is your CODB?"! All pricing should be based on that.

If you are only doing this part time, and have the majority of your income from another source (or if your SO provides the majority of income in your household).. that may not be important to you. In which case, charge whatever you want... check on pricing that is appropriate for your area, and then modify that based on your skill level, and your ability to deliver a decent product.

Do you even have adequate equipment for shooting portraiture? (lighting, lenses, etc...)

That'sss debateable. I'm currently buying a reflector set. I do have continuous lighting and softboxes available. This family is very "outdoorsy" and wants the shot to be outside, so I'd be using the reflectors more than anything. I have access to all the equipment I need. I have my lenses + cameras listed below, however I shoot with around 7 guys frequently in my area for our professional shoots (MMA, some magazine shoots in boston) we recently did miss NH's bikini pics. We all borrow each others gear when needed, so I have access to L series lenses and a 5d mark III (among many other camera bodies if needed). So it's not necessarily that stuff that I need to account for.. it's more "how do I price this out for them".. type thing.

Most reactions

Back