Family portraits in the park

I think the little girl looks a bit washed out
IMO, the 2nd shot is not very attractive because of perspective distortion and irregular lighting on her face.
I think #3 is much nicer, better and more even lighting, un-strained position, attractive smile. Her hand is lighter than her face but that can be fixed.

Thanks for the comments guys. I don't think it is perspective distortion in 2 as it is an 85mm lens. I think it is just the way she is sitting. Valuable critique for me though, much appreciated.

P.S. 1 is a film shot (Kodak Portra) which may contribute to the washed out look.

Last edited:
I will argue that #1 is beautiful and the fact that it's film that much more. The other 2 don't do as much for me....go figure!

I will argue that #1 is a beautiful and the fact that it's film that much more. The other 2 don't do as much for me....go figure!

Thank you. Just goes to show how subjective it all is.

I find them all nice, and think the woman has a very engaging face. Her expression in shot #2,and shot #3 looks so genuine, and so friendly, which is for me what makes those shots so appealing. I go back and forth between #2 and #2, as to which is 'better', but it's a toss-up. As far as the little girl being a bit pale--I normally would expect that of a young child who has red hair, unless she's been out in the sun quite a bit. Yes, her skin is pale-ish, but not horribly so. A few "points" worth of magenta added to the skin tones would however, bring her skin more in line with that of the woman's skin in shot #2.

I find them all nice, and think the woman has a very engaging face. Her expression in shot #2,and shot #3 looks so genuine, and so friendly, which is for me what makes those shots so appealing. I go back and forth between #2 and #2, as to which is 'better', but it's a toss-up. As far as the little girl being a bit pale--I normally would expect that of a young child who has red hair, unless she's been out in the sun quite a bit. Yes, her skin is pale-ish, but not horribly so. A few "points" worth of magenta added to the skin tones would however, bring her skin more in line with that of the woman's skin in shot #2.

Many thanks for your comments.

I really like #1 and #2. I don't like 3 as much as I don't really like her finger sticking up in her face like that.

I really like #1 and #2. I don't like 3 as much as I don't really like her finger sticking up in her face like that.

Yes 1 and 2 are my favourites too. Thanks for commenting.

Most reactions

Back