Family Portraits - Next Round

Neuner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As suggested I changed the aperture from 1.8 to 4 to re-shoot some family portraits
bringing more of the image in focus. I like it a lot more. This forum has also been a
great place to get ideas for different pose positions. Bless my family for putting up
with me while I practice!

I had to copy pose #4 before my son got any older.

1)
DSC_3424.jpg

2)
DSC_3347.jpg

3)
DSC_3366.jpg

4)
DSC_3378-1.jpg

5)
DSC_3353.jpg

These look great! What kind of lighting did you use?

Thanks! Don't laugh, but most of the lighting is with my flash. I shot these in our breakfast room which has white tile flooring and a vaulted ceiling. Sunlight helped light the back drop a little, but about 80-90% of the light is from bouncing the flash off of the ceiling. Since it is angled I think it helped give some directional lighting? The flash has a lot of power & I think the tile helped illuminate the subjects more.

For the 2nd pic, looking at it now, I wish my Wife had her face up a little more so her chin wasn't covered, but this was a pop shot I took while she was trying to cheer up our little girl who was getting anxious. Since it was spur of the moment photo, I guess I should be happy I got what I did.

Love the fourth one ive always wanted to try it but the kids in my family always have a way of jumping suddenly in their sleeps ive never wanted to risk it.
The first one is such a classic shot.

Love the fourth one ive always wanted to try it but the kids in my family always have a way of jumping suddenly in their sleeps ive never wanted to risk it.
The first one is such a classic shot.

Thanks. It's funny the methods you wind up using to get smiles. For #1, she kept sucking on her thumb. My Wife pulled it out and she started laughing, so I'd get the camera setup, have her pull the thumb out and then run to the side. I'd snap the picture just as soon as she was out of the way.

Thanks everyone! I was looking for what I could improve. I'm glad that everyone likes them.

Beautiful photos of a beautiful family. So I take it there are two "big" girls and one wee boy? Same constellation as between my sister, myself and our brother then. It'll work :D!

I have always wanted to try my hands on an infant photo like that in No 4 of your son, but I don't have any model close-by. And now that I see what a bounced flash with enough power can do, I want one more than ever!

Beautiful pictures. My favorite was the last #5, I love her gorgeous blonde hair!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back