Family reunion portraits- posing suggestions?

Heidz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm shooting a family reunion/60th wedding anniversary outdoors. It consists of 4 families with a total of 22 people. They want traditional portraits (no candid shots). Any suggestions on posing? Do you think a flash and tripod is necessary? I will be using a Nikon D70s 18-70mm.

Welcome to the forum.

I like to use a flash outdoors to light up faces that might otherwise have shadows (in the eye sockets etc.)...although it may be hard to light up that many people evenly. Might still be a good idea, just to give their eyes a catch light.

A tripod would be a good idea. That way you can leave the camera in one position while you move and/or pose the people.

Try to stay away from the 18mm end of the lens and/or keep people away from the edge of the frame.

Here is a link to posing for classic portraiture

Glad I read this :) Thanks Mike!

Thanks for the suggestions and the link you sent. It's a big help! I'm also taking individual family portraits so I'll apply the catch light in those shots.

Great link, Mike!

Remember to stay in the shade if you can. Shooting out in the open, especially around mid-day is a no-no. If you do get stuck doing that, make sure your flash is lighting up the faces.

If you get get under some big trees, that will be good...but make sure that there aren't spots of bright light on some people.

Most reactions

Back