Family reunion

katastrophekaty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I love photography. Suck at most things like aperture (and I hear it's a really important part of photography). I always use the iA feature. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? These are the best pictures I took at my family reunion on Saturday. The ones of my older cousin is from a photo shoot I did of her. The ones of the baby are just random snaps.

I did boost the contrast to 20, sometimes boost the brightness to 10 and occasionally I used the dodge tool because she was really red in some pictures. The close up of her eyelashes is the only picture I used aperture on. Sharpened when needed.

$P1200849.JPGView attachment 74322

This is another cousin. Obviously, it wasn't a photo shoot. He won't sit still long enough. For editing, I used the same thing as I did for the pictures above. Sharpened when needed.

$P1200944.JPGView attachment 74324

Last edited:
you would get a better feedback if you post 2-3 photos... there are just too many of them here and too much to be said...

I didn't want to spam the forum with a bunch of new threads. I took most out but kept in the four I really want the critique on.

#1 cropped too tightly, don't need the tilt, needs more light on her face.
#2 Better light, odd angle, too much tree.
#3 not much here
#4 good light, but he is hiding his face. and what is in his hair?

#1 cropped too tightly, don't need the tilt, needs more light on her face.
#2 Better light, odd angle, too much tree.
#3 not much here
#4 good light, but he is hiding his face. and what is in his hair?

It's a bubble. The girl in the pictures was blowing bubbles and he was giggling up a storm. Are any of these better?

$P1200942.JPG$P1200929.JPG$P1210002.JPG$P1200844.JPG$P1200842.JPG

In the first post, top right, I can tell you used a flash of some sort. Unfortunately, that flash is mega harsh. A speedlight with a softbox (I swear by the damned things) would help immensely.

In the first post, top right, I can tell you used a flash of some sort. Unfortunately, that flash is mega harsh. A speedlight with a softbox (I swear by the damned things) would help immensely.
I had my flash open, but it only goes off when the lighting is low and it didn't go off. I was about 10 feet away from her, just zoomed in. I did tweak the contrast and brightness in GIMP though, so maybe that's why it looks like a flash? I believe I upped the brightness to 10 and the contrast to 20 if that makes any difference to you

I just found your other thread. I didn't realize you were using a Lumix. I have a Lumix superzoom, and they don't allow you much control, to say the least. I also don't think a speedlight is an option for that. Of course there's the GET A DSLR OR MIRRORLESS crowd, but what I highly recommend is buying a manual film camera like a Pentax K1000, Olympus OM-1 or 1n, Nikon F (all manual without the meter), Minolta SRT, or the like, and play around with it. Learn how things interact, like shutter speed, aperture, and ISO/film speed. Film limits your photo opportunities dramatically, so it forces you to think about each and every shot, and is a great way to sharpen your skills faster, in my opinion. It's made a huge difference for me. As for the expense... I just got a Minolta X-370 for $5.

I just found your other thread. I didn't realize you were using a Lumix. I have a Lumix superzoom, and they don't allow you much control, to say the least. I also don't think a speedlight is an option for that. Of course there's the GET A DSLR OR MIRRORLESS crowd, but what I highly recommend is buying a manual film camera like a Pentax K1000, Olympus OM-1 or 1n, Nikon F (all manual without the meter), Minolta SRT, or the like, and play around with it. Learn how things interact, like shutter speed, aperture, and ISO/film speed. Film limits your photo opportunities dramatically, so it forces you to think about each and every shot, and is a great way to sharpen your skills faster, in my opinion. It's made a huge difference for me. As for the expense... I just got a Minolta X-370 for $5.
I wouldn't have the patience for film, unfortunately. I really want to get an actual professional camera with at least one lens to start out. They're just really expensive. I would do a class, but in order for me to do that, I have to buy a film camera and learn to develop the film, and then I have to turn around and buy a digital camera and that's just money out the door because I'll never use the film for anything. Like, ever. The developing would just annoy me. I like to snap and go and not worry about running out of anything except memory, and I don't have to worry about that with a digital because my card holds over 3,000 pictures.

Entry-Level DSLR's are not expensive at all, you could get a brand new rebel t5i + kit lens for that price. It would give you a broader opportunity to practice, and learn to use shutter speed, aperture etc..

Are any of these better?

Yes, #1 is very nice!

#5 is framed better, but the light is uneven, and you should position the camera about eye level with all your subjects.

Thank you everyone for the advice! I think sometimes I don't see the flaws because it's my family. Very bad for beginners, right?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back