Family Session on Watery Lane

twocolor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.twocolorphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One of my favorite locations here in my little town! One of my favorite clients who drive 2 hours to come and see me!

Poyner%20Family006-L.jpg

Poyner%20Family018-L.jpg

Poyner%20Family024-L.jpg

Poyner%20Family032-L.jpg

Poyner%20Family050-L.jpg

Poyner%20Family055-L.jpg

Poyner%20Family062-L.jpg

8. We even had a real live horse stop by and photo bomb us! The little girl has her own horse back home, and it thrilled her to no end that a horse was there for her picture!
Poyner%20Family066-L.jpg

Poyner%20Family076-L.jpg

Poyner%20Family086-L.jpg

Just the framing. You either need more of the feet, or more of the horse saddle. Right now I feel the horse saddle is more of a distraction.

Good point. I think I've got a horizontal one with her boots showing. Thanks for the feedback!

To me, in no. 3 the background is too distracting, it takes away from the people.
I specially like the 3 last ones, and the first two but I would crop no. 2, there is too much empty space on the right side.
A very nice set twocolor! beautiful smiles and nice set ups!

These are REALLY great. I wanted to say I love #4, but I really like them all.

I agree that #5 is the weakest. I dont like the framing or the placement of the camera in relation to the subject.

To me, in no. 3 the background is too distracting, it takes away from the people.
I specially like the 3 last ones, and the first two but I would crop no. 2, there is too much empty space on the right side.
A very nice set twocolor! beautiful smiles and nice set ups!

Thank you! #3 I can see how the background does pull your eye away from the subject. On #2, I cropped it that way on purpose. Eye line is right on the top third and the center of their faces is right on the left third. Power corner. I also leave a little space for crop when ordered at a size with a different ratio then what comes out of camera.

Two point penalty for the use of cliché chair/suitcase/other prop that doesn't belong! ;)

Very strong set, but 6, 7 & 8 are absolutely friggin' outstanding!!!

You seem to interact with people well and have them with great expressions in your photos. I think the bright sunlight is somewhat distracting like in #2, 4, and 6 where it's near their heads; the portraits are lovely of the people I'd just think about the backgrounds in some.

I've done sports and events where I have to watch for poles, lines, etc. so I tend to notice distractions especially along edges of the frames. With something like #8 I usually try to not have a post along the side where you can just see the edge of sunlight - I'd usually rather see something to be able to tell what it is or not have just an edge of it in a photo.

I'd probably think about where you're cutting people off like the dad's fingers and hands in #3; or having something like the edge of the chair in the lower left of #4. I just like to have a clean composition and try to keep distractions out of my pictures as much as I can.

Two point penalty for the use of cliché chair/suitcase/other prop that doesn't belong! ;)

Very strong set, but 6, 7 & 8 are absolutely friggin' outstanding!!!

Awe MAAANNNNN! (that's the whiny voice my kids use!) If I get extra credit for the others, does it balance out?!

You seem to interact with people well and have them with great expressions in your photos. I think the bright sunlight is somewhat distracting like in #2, 4, and 6 where it's near their heads; the portraits are lovely of the people I'd just think about the backgrounds in some.

I've done sports and events where I have to watch for poles, lines, etc. so I tend to notice distractions especially along edges of the frames. With something like #8 I usually try to not have a post along the side where you can just see the edge of sunlight - I'd usually rather see something to be able to tell what it is or not have just an edge of it in a photo.

I'd probably think about where you're cutting people off like the dad's fingers and hands in #3; or having something like the edge of the chair in the lower left of #4. I just like to have a clean composition and try to keep distractions out of my pictures as much as I can.

I truly appreciate the detailed critique. I am a great finger cropper, but the edge of the chair. I truly didn't even notice it until now and it truly doesn't bother me. I agree about distractions in an image as well, but there is a time where you capture a moment when you see a moment happen. I don't "script" out all of my shots. When a little 3 year old is in a picture, sometimes you stand by and record the moment that dad tries to coach a smile from her by tickling her with his beard, or the moment when I ask the little girl how much she loves her mom and she just leans over and gives her the biggest hug ever. I can't script these expressions and these moments would be lost. So, though I agree with your critique, is there a point where we miss an expression because we are overly concerned about how busy the background is?

Very nice images and composition. 85mm lens? They're pretty tack sharp.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back