Family shoot gone wrong!

Hey...
Negative attention is attention. Could help the business.
Instead of gossip around the neighborhoods how Mrs. B was cut down to size...
Another no named victim is born.

When I do family shoots, weddings and Quinceaneras, I have my wife along as an assistant. A professional image goes a long way. We wear matching photographer vests with the company logo on them. My wife directs the shoot and is very assertive. She explains how everything is going to go and will take them through their poses. After we go through a few scripted shots and change the line up she will ask, "Is there a shot you had in mind?" If there is we do that one shot and continue with out script. It all runs smoothly. Except for that time that the groom's family and bride's family got into a brawl with the wedding cake winding up on the floor and the snack table getting knocked over.

I would say "great idea" we will do that next. Then mix her ideas in with your own. It never hurts to make someone happy.

No matter how good your photos are, they would never be as good as if you had done it her way. But, if you do it both ways she can pick the best, which most likely will be yours. If not, oh well, you at least made someone happy and that is never a bad thing.

Some folks know what they want , good or bad, they know what they want.

Dealing with the public can be brutal and every situation is different. I try and to avoid problems by asking the customer what they are expecting from the session before I break out my gear. I ask how they are going to use the photos - social media or prints and what sizes and ask for examples from previous years' shoots if they have any. I explain how I work, lighting, posing, etc. If things get tough, I start to ask questions like: "You seem to know a lot about this, where did you learn portrait photography?"; "Ask what type of equipment she has?"; "Can I see some of your work that you are fond of so I can try and copy it here?". They usually get the hint. If not, I go to "I'm getting the impression you aren't comfortable with my work. Would you like me to go? I do my best to leave under the best situation possible to avoid getting slammed on social media.

I think Derrel touched on a something critical, the design or consult appointment. You set up how the shoot will go there as well as the sales session. In thatmeeting TELL them what will be done. Tell them why. Establish yourself as an expert. Show them examples of what you want to accomplish and explain why. I guarantee mom has no clue on what goes into a good portrait. That should tamp down any momzilla craziness. Then in the camera room take command. You are the expert. Funny, I recently had surgery and didn't tell the surgeon which knife to use, how to position me on the operating table and for those who think amateurs work is good enough, I didn't call my friend who has a scalpel to do the surgery for free. And I certainly didn't try to do it myself. I had mentioned the lack of respect for free work, I wonder if she would have done that if she was paying one or two thousand for the shoot.

I didn't call my friend who has a scalpel to do the surgery for free. And I certainly didn't try to do it myself. I had mentioned the lack of respect for free work, I wonder if she would have done that if she was paying one or two thousand for the shoot.

You should have called me, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once. :cool-48: The lack of respect for free work unfortunately doesn't apply to just friends. I have a close family member who is overly critical of my work, runs it down at every opportunity and turns her nose up at the suggestion of letting me photograph her kids for free. She's one of those who associates price with quality in everything. She's paid $$$$ on photo sessions with photographers that are mediocre at best, and doesn't have a clue.

Does she know her butt from deep center field? If you know the quality of your work, you are casting your pearls among swine. Bingo on the price equated with quality. Another reason not to try to be the lowest price. That gets you the bottom feeders who will dump you for someone with a lower price and the low price makes them not value your work.

Does she know her butt from deep center field?

An emphatic no! LOL been that way for years. I did enjoy a little revenge on her most recent expenditure. Whoever she hired used a wide angle lens and had her posed squared shoulders. She 's always been a little heavy set, but the combination had her so bloated she could have doubled for the Pillsbury Doughboy. I didn't say anything but her husband commented about it (out of her hearing).

Does she know her butt from deep center field?

An emphatic no! LOL been that way for years. I did enjoy a little revenge on her most recent expenditure. Whoever she hired used a wide angle lens and had her posed squared shoulders. She 's always been a little heavy set, but the combination had her so bloated she could have doubled for the Pillsbury Doughboy. I didn't say anything but her husband commented about it (out of her hearing).
Karma... she's a female dog! :lol:

I simply just don't do that. I make MY images. This is known before the start of the session.

-Pete
As it should be. If clients take the time to study a photographer's portfolio, they should know what they're contracting for.

I get the idea that some customers don't consider the photographer's work ahead of time.

It is interesting to see how other people would have handled this situations and certainly sage advise for those starting out.

I think the biggest issue in this particular scenario was it was a freebee. Basically you are doing a friend a favor. Unfortunately, some folks like their favors done there way.

No good deed goes unpunished :) :)

It is not a nice thing but it is probably normal. I mean not the behavior but the fact that there are such clients in different jobs.

Most reactions

Back