Family Thanksgiving - Suggestions Needed

kdeerhake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All

Thank you ahead of time for any and all suggestions.

I have down the basic use of my Camera and needed some suggestions for a large family event that I will be attending this weekend.

I will be up in dreary Ohio, so unless it is a nice day outside (doubtful) most of the pictures will be indoors. The idea is to get as many great pictures of the food and people to put together a nice hardcover photo book as Christmas gifts.

Should I just stick the camera on Auto to be safe? I'm semi comfortable with sticking it on manual, but also want to make it as user friendly at the same time. What lens should I be using to take most of the pictures? Should I pull out a tripod for anything?

I will post pictures after the weekend :)

Thank you!

if you're used to auto then use that... it's more important to get the moment than to learn to use the camera :p

I got this book from the library, wish I had it with me. It is called something like "photograhping your life" and one tip it showed for big gatherings was to get above the action. This way you can see all the faces and what is on the table. He showed an example and I am excited to try it this Christmas (if my Mother inlaw is not opposed to standing on furniture).

Great suggestion on getting the higher shots. I'll just have to deal with everyone give me weird looks for climbing around.

Great suggestion on getting the higher shots. I'll just have to deal with everyone give me weird looks for climbing around.

If you're going to be a photographer, you better get used to that real quick. "Getting above the action" is an excellent suggestion. One of these:

9-step-ladder.jpg

is as an essentail part of my kit as my lenses and speedlights!

I have been using my bronco as a ladder outside, but I'm not sure if the bronco will fit in a dining area.

blue

LOL on the Bronco.

I'm going to be traveling so bringing a step ladder will not be an option. I'm sure that something will be around that I can use.

Ricjoe, Thanks for the link. Maybe boarders or something will have it available so I can pick it up ASAP.

MrPink, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a little bit of sunshine. This time of year is just such a toss up. Just talked to some family who said the weather was pretty nice today so hopefully that will stay true for the next few days.

For inside shots a tripod will eliminate the camera shake and give you a better chance at keeping the photo's sharp, but it wouldn't be as versatile as you would be hand holding. For larger groups your 15-85 would probably be fine with flash because the 50mm f1.8 wouldn't have a large enough DOF to photograph groups at f1.8 or f2.8 etc. If you see a shot where you want to focus on something specifically then I'd switch to the 50mm.

Most reactions

Back