Fashion and portraiture Photography - Getting Started

AdelClose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,
I am about to finish my last year of a Foundation Photography Degree. I am interested in pursuing a career in fashion and portraiture.
Preferably, I would like to start working straight away.
Just wondering if any one has any advice about setting up a business and getting in to these areas of photography?
Any advice will be helpful
- Thank you, Adel

First thing's first: do you have talent? (and I'm only being half-sarcastic asking that)

And then there are the other factors such as a business license, tax ID, and insurance.

I think getting a business license should be your first concern, so even if you aren't making money right away at least you'll be a legal business

My recommendation would be sign up for a small business class when you have completed your degree program. I've seen photographers with zero skill or talent be successful due to knowing how to conduct business and market themselves. A photographer with all the skill and knowledge in the world will still struggle if you have no idea how to run a business. Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but I have rarely seen that scenario play out.

Hope it helps. :)

I would think the school would have a ton of information/contacts on how to get started. Start by asking your instructors.
I get the impression your in Great Britain?
Fashion and portraiture have different business models. While fashion is commercial photography, portraiture is retail photography.
The difference is commercial photography is used for advertising and promoting products and is commissioned for by an advertising agency or the company that makes the product.
Retail photography is usually commissioned by the same people that would be in the photos, and the photos are made for personal use.

At any rate you would want to have a strong portfolio of images, and you should already be networking within the industry developing your own personal industry contacts.

As far as setting up a business you will need to discover what the government requires at the federal and local levels. Things like registering/licensing a business, liability insurance requirements, financial reporting for tax purposes (business, income, sales, VAT (if applicable), etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back