Fashion photography lighting and backdrop - Tips?

yalan1220

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to emulate the following fashion images in my studio. Still very new studio lighting and setup. My studio is small so I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following:

1. What kind of backdrop is being used here. Paper? Color?
2. I have 2 Hensel lights, will this be enough?
3. How should I position those lights? A fill and a main?
4. Not enough money for additional lights, can I get away will NOT having a background and hair light?

Blumarine - Jeweled-Shoulder Dress - Neiman Marcus

KAS New York - Toby Floral-Print Shift Dress - Neiman Marcus

Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

ifi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Welcome to the forum :)

You might be able to get a better response to your question in a different section.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
Background paper..try using Thunder Gray seamless paper

Main light is a large source, probably a 60 inch or larger Octabox, or a large translucent panel with a light shot through it.Fill light could be from a large 42x78 inch white reflector or a large v-card camera left. On the lighter dress, they have fired a light at the upper right hand corner of the background paper, to lighten that up. It looks like on the black dress, they also aimed a gridded light at the center of the background, to cause some fall-off at the top of the paper.

If your reflector to the left is amply large, you could shoot this with just two lights--a main, and one directed at the background paper.

ghache

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
since you have 2 light, i would use once main light with a reflector for fill light

and use the second light to light your background or/and use it as a Hair light.

i never tryed it but i would try using a bounce back umbrella and light up the background and the model for some hairlight

Most reactions