fashion portrait?

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My band has a new t-shirt and we figured we would get a model to wear it and do a shoot to put on our site and hopefully help sell them. It so happens to be that a real model goes to our school and she agreed to do it for us with her bf.

I haven't really done any fashion portraits so I'm looking for any tips. I was thinking a few of each of them alone and then a few couple shots. The lococation is going to be a park by my house. I know a spot where we can get in even shade under some trees and the background is pretty empty for a while.

Any tips on poses to do or examples you might have or anything else. I've been lookign around google for some poses.

Thank you

Not many fashion shoots are done without lights...even the outdoor shots.

Get some magazines and look for shots that you think would work for you...then try to emulate them. This will give you, the photographer, and the model something to work from.

If it's about the t-shirt...then don't make it too much about the model. However, if she's a knockout and will get a lot of attention...then make it about her...but make the shirts clearly noticeable.

I do have my 430ex as lighting which should be a good fill flash right?

Would you happen to have any magazines in mind?

Find yourself a copy of Vogue. Look at the poses and look at the angles.

I’d do this indoors with some sort of white sheet hanging from the ceiling and then onto the floor. That way, you’d have a neutral background and it would be easier to work with in Photoshop.

What you can do for lighting is get big halogen lights or some sort of shop lights (if you have them) and hang bed sheets in front of them to diffuse the light. Have someone else help in the shooting and have them hold a reflector out of a big piece of cardboard and aluminum foil. If the room you’re in has a bright ceiling, than bounce your flash off of it to bring in light from the top.

OR, you can just have a single light source coming form whatever angle you want, and bring the contrast up into the extremes to give it just the outline of the model. That could look cool on a t-shirt.

Well actually im in film at school and we have a small studio. I could hang a white sheet infront of the green screen and we have a light set up in there too, and it just so happens to be i'm the only one that knows how to use them. The problem is they are extremely high power and when you dim them you get an orange light.

Well actually im in film at school and we have a small studio. I could hang a white sheet infront of the green screen and we have a light set up in there too, and it just so happens to be i'm the only one that knows how to use them. The problem is they are extremely high power and when you dim them you get an orange light.
If you have a green screen, then you can easily edit any background into there...that's what the green screen is for.

If the lights are very bright...that may be OK...you just have to figure out what settings to use on the camera to get the proper exposure. If you can dim them down...but the color changes...then set a custom WB...and/or shoot in RAW so that you can change it later.

I don't have much of a lighting setup either, but I do have a flash. What I found to work pretty well is to point the flash directly upwards (or to the side) and have someone else hold a large white "reflector," like this http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?zipCode=44286&jspStoreDir=Staples&catalogId=10051&errorUrl=zipcode&cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Shopping-_-Office_Supplies%3EPresentation_Boards-_-White_Tri_Fold_Corrugated_Presentation_Board%2C_36+++_x_48&ts=1167404447908&langId=-1&partNumber=302919&storeId=10001&ddkey=StaplesZipCodeAdd, and angle it towards the model. I hope that made sense, but when I did it, I got a soft and even light.

As suggested, look at fashion mags. Your studio at school sounds a little strange to me, if you are getting "orange" light. You should use strobes, not continuous output light.

In lieu of strobes, I would buy a large, LARGE reflector, and go outside in bright sun in front of a brick wall. By large reflector, I mean 4x6 feet. This can be as powerful as a strobe in direct sunlight. Bounce light to remove shadows and give a very high gloss look.

As suggested, look at fashion mags. Your studio at school sounds a little strange to me, if you are getting "orange" light. You should use strobes, not continuous output light.

It's a film studio, not photography. The lights are made for film.

thanks for the suggestions

lol yes i mean a video studio for movies

Yes, so you are using hotlights, which unfortunately don't work all that well for still photography, especially fashion. A nice shiny reflector and daylight would be your friend. I don't know what look you are going for specifically, but I think for a band, I'd want a high contrast, edgey look.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back