Fashion Show at Union Street SF

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to San Francisco and tried out the EF 50mm f1.8 II.
C&C please?

1 $_MG_2562.jpg

2$_MG_2567.jpg

3$_MG_2644.jpg

4$_MG_2658.jpg

5$_MG_2710.jpg

6$_MG_2714.jpg

These look poor to me. Why? Mostly because they were shot by a very poor lens, and also because that lens was shot at an f/stop that offered too shallow of a depth of field, leading to greatly out of focus images, with plenty of green chromatic aberration, and an unpleasant look overall. I am not sure why you shot at f/1.8 in full sunlight. Yeah, you got the eyes in focus on a few, but the clothing some five to six inches behind is utterly out of focus. On fashion shots, it's really nice if the fashion can actually be seen, like the neat semi-transparent dress material, or the patterns or textures on the clothing items. I do not mind the mid-thigh crops on these 3/4-body shots, and I think that on most of the shots, you composed/cropped okay, except for shots 4 and 5, which have awkward crops.

These look poor to me. Why? Mostly because they were shot by a very poor lens, and also because that lens was shot at an f/stop that offered too shallow of a depth of field, leading to greatly out of focus images, with plenty of green chromatic aberration, and an unpleasant look overall. I am not sure why you shot at f/1.8 in full sunlight. Yeah, you got the eyes in focus on a few, but the clothing some five to six inches behind is utterly out of focus. On fashion shots, it's really nice if the fashion can actually be seen, like the neat semi-transparent dress material, or the patterns or textures on the clothing items. I do not mind the mid-thigh crops on these 3/4-body shots, and I think that on most of the shots, you composed/cropped okay, except for shots 4 and 5, which have awkward crops.

I still have other photos shot in 18-55mm lens. I was experimented with f 1.8. I figured the shallower dof will not be too distracting in background.

You were right: shooting with the 50mm lens wide-open at f/1.8 threw the backgrounds well out of focus,but that f/1.8 aperture choice also hurt the ability of the lens to show the foreground subjects in good, clear focus.

Most reactions

Back