FAST AND LONG LASTING: CompactDrive PD7X

Benny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I clearly understand and respect the terms and conditions of a forum. I also believe we all have the right to know what are the new products out there and how they perform. I am here to provide information.

Here's one: www.compactdrive.co.uk

CompactDrive is considered to be the fastest and longest lasting digital storage in the world. Just do a simple study on the specs and you will discover the full story. It uses 4 x AA rechargable NiMH batteries so you don't need to carry another charger for your trip.

Here's a third-party report:

http://fhoude34.free.fr/PortableHD.htm

On the website it says the download speed from memory card to PSD is about 4MB/s, is this the speed in theory? Or in practice?

Also, can I use normal Alkaline batteries? How does it connect to Mac? USB or Firewire?

miro said:
On the website it says the download speed from memory card to PSD is about 4MB/s, is this the speed in theory? Or in practice?

Also, can I use normal Alkaline batteries? How does it connect to Mac? USB or Firewire?

Hi Miro,

4mb/s is the speed in practice. It takes less than 4 minutes to transfer 1 GB of data from CF card to PD7X.

You can use Alkaline batteries. However, to achieve the best performance and reliability you are recommended to stick with NiMH. One set of Sanyo 2300mAH NiMH batteries can handle about 30GB data (30 * 1GB CF card).

CompactDrive connects to PC/Mac via USB 2.0 and compatible with USB1.1.

Chase said:
So when should I expect my sample CompactDrive to test and review?? ;)

Actually if you google 'CompactDrive' you will see a lot of reviews and articles about this product. Your personal review is definitely valuable too. However we do not send out test drives at the moment, will let you know when this becomes available. :)

Can I use my old 8GB Hitachi laptop hard drive on PD7X? Is it hard to install a hard drive? Thanks!

From the spec it looks like this product is what I have been looking for...

Benny said:
Chase said:

Actually if you google 'CompactDrive' you will see a lot of reviews and articles about this product. Your personal review is definitely valuable too. However we do not send out test drives at the moment, will let you know when this becomes available. :)

Can't blame an admin for trying :)

Chase said:
Benny said:
Chase said:

Can't blame an admin for trying :)

:LOL: nice one Chase....

Zach :D

miro said:
Can I use my old 8GB Hitachi laptop hard drive on PD7X? Is it hard to install a hard drive? Thanks!

From the spec it looks like this product is what I have been looking for...

Yes you can. HDD must be formatted as FAT32. For HDD larger than 32GB you won't be able to format them to FAT32 under Windows. In this case, you will need to use our software which can be downloaded from our website:

http://www.compactdrive.co.uk/download.html

It is very easy to install your own hdd. However, we suggest you stick with the hdd pre-installed units because they have been fully tested and fine tuned. Some hdd has weired problems and may not work very well with CompactDrive, although the chance is small.

Today I was talking to a new customer, he is a sport photographer. The reason why he decided to use our product is that he could not afford to wait for files to download when he's shooting in the field. He needs a PSD that can give him good speed and reliability. With PD7X, it takes 2 minutes to copy 1/2 GB data from flash card, which is the feature he is after.

There are many other similar products around. CompactDrive is simple, but reliable and has high perfomance. If you are a serious photographer, it is a product worth considering.

i glanced the capitalized topic:

FAST AND LONG LASTING

and thought it was something other than, well, what it is in reality.

nevermind o_O

Many users didn't believe it until they actually tried it. That's why it has been the hottest topic in some photography forum...the spec looks too good to be true.

However, I do not think that this product is perfect. There's definitely space to improve. The 'known issues' on the websites states what have been found and what could be improved in the future. Compare to similar products in the market, PD7X out perfoms others, especially when you take the price factor into account. Some PSD has more functions such as music playback and image preview. But do we really need those functions when we are out and shooting? PD7X simply cuts all these extras to increase the performance as well as reduce the cost. Very simple idea.

Are there other ways to connect the reader (or the hard disk) to my PC other than using USB?

Daniel said:
Are there other ways to connect the reader (or the hard disk) to my PC other than using USB?

Hi Daniel,

USB is the only way to connect PD7X to PC. Are you a Mac user? Unfortunately Firewire can not be used with PD7X.

Most reactions

Back