Faster lens option

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a d7200 and d3100. As for lenses I am pretty much covered for good light situations with my 18-105mm kit lens which I really like when light allows.

I have a sigma 18-35mm f1.8. I am looking for something faster than the kit lens to complement this sigma. I know there are the various 24-70mm f2.8.

Are there options in similar focal length but maybe less bulky and pricey. I have considered the 24-85mm f3.5/4.5 vr, but I am not sure if f4.5 will always cut it indoors in lower light.

Have I overlooked any obvious lenses that may fill the criteria. I can mount it on the d7200 so whether or not it has an inbuilt motor does not matter. Maybe nikon has an older lens I'm not aware of.

Thanks

(I realize I asked a similar question about 6 months ago so, but I got few different bits and pieces since so it's slightly changed)

Last edited:
Since you are on a Nikon DX body I would suggest the Tamron 17-50 2.8. Tamron has been making this lens in one variation or another for several years now. The latest version has VC (Tamron version of VR). I own the slightly older non VC version and it is fantastic. There is also an even older (optically identical) version which uses the motor in the camera body for auto focus. Check out KEH for the older versions if you're not apposed to getting used.

Thanks, I did have that lens at one stage myself. I'm looking for something a bit more telephoto to pair with 18-35. I won't buy to just cover 35-50. A suggestion I previously got was the tamron 28-75 f2.8. This seems like my best option at the moment

If you want it to be fast wouldn't you be better served with a prime lens?
I wouldn't find 105mm to be anywhere near long enough for my uses, but if it covers you requirements in good light perhaps something in the 50 to 80mm range would complement your fast 18-35.

Both the d7200 & the D3100 have reasonable margin for cropping if your composition requires a focal length you don't quite have.

I do have a 50mm f1.8. I just want a pair of zooms for parties/events etc. Primes are better no doubt, but they make you work to hard at this type of thing.

sigma 24-70, 2.8

sigma 70-200, 2.8

sigma 120-300, 2.8

nikon 80-200, 2.8

nikon 70-200, 2.8

tamron 70-200, 2.8

sigma 24-70, 2.8

sigma 70-200, 2.8

sigma 120-300, 2.8

nikon 80-200, 2.8

nikon 70-200, 2.8

tamron 70-200, 2.8

Ya that's no help. I can read lens numbers off the net or a magazine also.

not sure what your budget is exactly or exactly what zoom range you are looking for, or if you want a DX or FX lens.

if you get a fx lens you got the add in the 1.5X crop ( i think it is) to the focal length of the lens.

those are the lenses i would look into if any of them are in your price range. i have been doing some reading on fast zoom lenses lately and those seem like some good lenses.

If you want it to be fast wouldn't you be better served with a prime lens?
I wouldn't find 105mm to be anywhere near long enough for my uses, but if it covers you requirements in good light perhaps something in the 50 to 80mm range would complement your fast 18-35.

Both the d7200 & the D3100 have reasonable margin for cropping if your composition requires a focal length you don't quite have.

I gave this a trial run and it works better than I initially thought. Its very easy to spend money on items one thinks they need but probably don't, thanks

How about legacy lenses, like the Nikkor AF 35-70mm f/2.8D? It will AF with your D7200 only, though.

Or the legacy Nikkor AF-S 28-70mm f/2.8D, that will AF with your both cameras, but is a heavy beast?

Or the brand new Nikkor AF-S 16-80mm f/2.8-4E VR DX lens? Not fixed aperture, but fast enough (?) and lighter than the FX 2.8 options.

Or the FX all around Nikkor AF-S 24-120mm f/4G ED VR lens? You get more reach, but a constant f/4.

Last edited:
if you get a fx lens you got the add in the 1.5X crop ( i think it is) to the focal length of the lens.
You have to do that to all lens numbers .. DX or FX.

DX lenses are just smaller as they use less glass (and lighter) to save money as they only have to create an image circle the size of the DX sensor, versus an image sensor the size of an FX sensor.

Since you mentioned body motor for your d7200 ,you can also look at the

- 24-85/2.8-4.0 AF-D I have one and have been using it for years now as my primary "go-to/ walk-around" lens. And they are fairly cheap on the used market. Also on the lens reviews, they actually are rated fairly high above the 3rd party 24-70/2.8s for image quality at least for my d600 in the "Best standard zoom" section ==> Best lenses for Nikon D600 | Nikon Rumors

- 35-70/2.8 - I had a mint one at one time. It was a nice lens for studio type shooting. It was push-pull though and had horrible issues when directed at any angle towards the sun even when it's out of the frame.

- 80-200/2.8 AF-D - I've been using one now for several years. Great lens overall

- 24-120/4 AF-S G - the better kit lens than the 24-85/3.5-4.5 VR.

Last edited:
So you have 18-35 covered, then 50, so I think the 70-200 f/2.8 if you want to add a fast zoom (but very bulky compared to your 18-105mm). The 35-70mm f/2.8D Nikon looks interesting, but I would just use the 50mm you already have as that zoom is a lot heavier.

The 24-120mm f/4 is really a good option if you need the zoom and want to complement that Sigma 18-35mm.

I don't find a prime lens a problem at social events, actually it frees me to do spontaneous shots (you see something interesting - walk over to where you need to be to frame it - pick up camera and take shot), it is just a matter of using that one focal length long enough to know where to stand before looking through the view-finder. Of course, I have many times had to do a crab-walk to move back a few steps that could have been avoided with a zoom.

btw,

Keith just fixed his 24-85/2.8-4.0 lens for sharpness ==> I'm not satisfied | Photography Forum

Even though i think this was built back in the film days, Nikon still sells it as "new" (though maybe they have a warehouse of old stock). ==> AF Zoom-NIKKOR 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF from Nikon

It is very compact ( about the size of an 85mm prime) and light compared to any 24-70. I've been wanting to replace it with a 24-70 but just can't due to price and size.

It is clunky compared to a modern AF-S G lens with the screw drive focusing. It telescopes, so it reduces to a fairly compact sized lens. 72mm thread if I recall correctly.

It also does macro with a switch near the top for 35-85mm only.

The wider you get on it, especially at 24, the edges curve in a lot too but less than my 24mm/2.8 AF-D prime lens I had before - I sold my 24mm becz this lens was better at 24 in all aspects (pincushion, etc was all better).

So it's an inexpensive & compact lens with the normal image irregularities you get with an older designed lens.

I used it with my d7000 and d600.

Thanks all for the suggestions and advice on this

Most reactions

Back