Faux IR

photogoddess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.trueblueintimates.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this in Kentucky back in April. Somedays I like it and some days I hate it but I can't figure out why. Opinions please...

IR_barn.jpg

great composition!!! this picture is very spooky to me for some reason.

md

Man, I love IR. I always have one camera loaded with Infrared during the summer, although I have shot IR in the winter. I really love the b/w spooky effect. Photogoddess, I love this shot. Like most of my IR shots I have to be in the right mood to appreciate it.

Eric

I love this shot, the composition is so solid and yet the feel is so light because of the IR. The contrast between the sky and the ground/tree is really nice too.

Thanks! :p

Funny thing is, the color version was so bland. I did the faux IR because I felt that there was something about the shot that I liked but that it was missing something. Making it b&w didn't seem to do the trick either. Since I've never done any IR before, I thought that I would try to simulate it. I guess that was what it needed.

Here is the original version
colorbarn.jpg

Knowing Voodoocat, he probably has a more efficient way but this is the way I did it. :p I'm still learning but he has been helping me out a bit. :D

Open the image in PS. Go to Image, adjustments, gradient map. Click on the arrow at the right of the bar and then click on the black & white square (top one, third from the left). Then go to filters, stylize and solarize the image. Play with the contrast (all the way up?) and brightness until you get the IR look.

Thanks for the tip. I've got Photoshop firing up to try it out!

hobbes28 said:
MDowdey said:
great composition!!! this picture is very spooky to me for some reason.

md

Children of the corn.

Great shot though and I'll have to try that IR look sometime too.

i was thinking M. Night Shyamalan's Signs...

but childrin of the corn definately wigged me out...

md

this is a great shot, photogodess-
a slight tweak to the left might have positioned the silo and the rectangular shape in the middle of the barn slightly better, but as stated above, great composition.

the cinderblock construction of the silo provides awesome texture in your conversion.

awesome work :thumbsup:

Most reactions

Back