Favorite Books/Novels

oriecat said:
Havoc said:
Carl Sagan died? When did that happen?

Like 6 years ago? *runs to check biography*....

Dec 20, 1996

Jeez....has it really been that long?? I don't get emotional over too many scientists but he was an exceptional human being on a lot of levels. :cry: A real loss.

carlita said:
the lovely bones by alice sebold

I liked that one a lot, too.

aggiezach said:
Da Vinci Code - Angels & Demons

The other two Dan Brown books, Deception Point and Digital Fortress

How could I forget these? I've read all of Dan Brown's books and I think Angels & Deamons was by far his best.

terri said:
oriecat said:
Havoc said:
Carl Sagan died? When did that happen?

Like 6 years ago? *runs to check biography*....

Dec 20, 1996

Jeez....has it really been that long?? I don't get emotional over too many scientists but he was an exceptional human being on a lot of levels. :cry: A real loss.

Hear hear! I know, I couldn't believe it's been that long either. I just don't think we have any scientists like him anymore, so willing to speak out and help to bring it so that the average person can understand. Seems like scientists just stay in their little science circles, and I think the state of education and the publics conceptions are being harmed because of it. :?

I'm such a bookaholic. I have to agree with everyone who suggested the Da Vinci Code, Angel's and Demons and Lovely Bones. but there are four books that I have to add to the running list.
I know this to be True by Wally Lamb, it's a story of identical twins, one's a scicophrenic (SP) and the other isn't.

Middle Sex by jeffery Eugenes (sp) the the multi generational tale of a greek family, word to the wise there is some incest and the main character is a hermrophdite(sp) But trust me it's a good book, he won a pulitzer for it.

The Virgin Sucides by Jeffery Eugenes. So sad

And Also
The Time Traveler's wife. I don't remember the author's name, but the plots to complicated to explain.

taylo168 said:
I'm such a bookaholic. I have to agree with everyone who suggested the Da Vinci Code, Angel's and Demons and Lovely Bones. but there are four books that I have to add to the running list.
I know this to be True by Wally Lamb, it's a story of identical twins, one's a scicophrenic (SP) and the other isn't.

Yeah read that a few years ago....I enjoyed it.

Middle Sex by jeffery Eugenes (sp) the the multi generational tale of a greek family, word to the wise there is some incest and the main character is a hermrophdite(sp) But trust me it's a good book, he won a pulitzer for it.

A friend of mine was raving about this book to me the other week. *Takes mental note again to read it*.
Theres too many books to catch up on ! I have about 8 waiting for me in my bookshelf , plus I want to get ahold of the Dan Brown books , 'The Lovely Bones ' etc.
Damn , I need to get off the net and start readin eh :lol:

The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexander Dumas, will be always and forever be my favorite story. the protagonist is my hero- i want to grow up to be just like he.

Cosmos by Sagan. Just discovered it about 2 years ago. Fantastic book. I have since read every Sagan book I can find, Demon haunted World, Billions and Billions, and Pale Blue dot. He was an incredible author, he had a way of relating everything in the cosmos to everyone. Some of the best reading I have ever had.

As far as non-fiction, i would have to say i loved Batllefield Earth back in college. Great story (horrible, just terrible movie). Everything you can think of happens in this book.

Clint

Dostojevski - everything
Bulhakov - everything
Marquez - everything
Vonnegut - everything
Beckett - most of

and my fav - Roland Topor - everything what he ever wrote, drew.. -> my fav is "Locator", and "4 roses for Lucienne"

its only a small part - im a bookaholic too -:)

oh, and i love to read movie screenplays! -:)
i bought yesterday three volumes of Tarkovsky's screenplays! yay! i cant wait to have some time and read it ! -:)

-Snow Crash
-The Diamond Age
-Cryptonomicon

All Niel Stephenson. Highly recommeded for those who enjoy fast paced, cyberpunk science fiction (Snow Crash and Diamond Age), or complex historical fiction (Cryptonomicon).

Stephenson makes everything so believeable, sci-fi fans will not go wrong with either Snow Crash or Diamond Age. These are not run-of-the-mill science fiction titles. These are Hugo-award winning masterpieces. Ok, so only Snow Crash won the Hugo, but still, they are both great books.

:) Check them out.

aggiezach said:
Well my Favorite Book(s) of all time would have to be the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series. They're absolutely Hilarious and quite entertaining.

Same here! They're making a movie of HHGTTG. Hopefully it won't suck.

I also enjoy;

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Someplace To Be Flying by Charles deLint

The Ivory and The Horn by Charles deLint

Most reactions

New Topics

Back