Favorite film?

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is your favorite film and why?

also, I'm new to this, but if you have any suggestions: I like grain, a lot. A bit washed out and perhaps magenta hued (though not so much as lomo. I know the "wash out" is partly due to exposure and the magenta is usually caused by the lens. But if there's anything you think I'd like, I'd love to hear. For BW, grain is always good. Lol

Tri-X is always a goos starting point, and if you like grain- push process it to ISO 1600.

I tended to be "Panatomic-X in Microdol". So the absolute opposite...

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm so excited. I don't plan on developing myself. Any suggestions in that regard

I'm so excited. I don't plan on developing myself. Any suggestions in that regard

Developing is easy and much cheeper if you continue to shoot your own film.

^it seems so complicated! It's my understanding that bw is less complicated than color?

^it seems so complicated! It's my understanding that bw is less complicated than color?

Well so far the only recommended film here is Tri-X and that is B&W. Color film is just as easy to develop as B&W film in my opinion.

I use Kodak TMX-100 in my 4x5 camera.

The only colour film I like is Fuji Velvia or Kodak Kodachrome ... I never got into any particular colour print film.

B&W was Kodak Panatomic-X and HIE ... currently it is Ilford Pan F-plus, Delta's or anything Infrared.

Developing B&W is easy.
I just use my bathroom as a developing area ... the only effort it takes is spending time turning over a container.
Probably the most difficult part is loading the reels, which is not all that difficult.

Yes, there's not much to developing B&W - I'm sure you can find some tutorials on it. Of course any basic B&W photography book will tell you how to do it, but no one seems to read actual books anymore.

The important thing about developing is that you are in total control of density, contrast, etc. If you want more grain, you can make that happen, or less for that matter.

When I last shot B&W film, the TMax films in TMax developer were my standard. TMax 3200 is amazing. You can shoot it anywhere from 800-6400 (within reason - anything else is possible, but ...) and if I remember the instructions from Kodak gave times/temperatures for the whole range. It has different grain than Tri-X so in your grain quest you may find you prefer the "look" of one or the other. The TMax grain is smaller and more even in size.

For colour: Kodak Portra 400--120: beautiful contrast/saturation balance; easily scanned.

For b&w: Kodak Tmax400(TMY-2)--120: looks like ISO100 35mm; gorgeous tonal range.

Shoot digital for Instagram color shifts or scan and get the look thru post=processing.

Color - Fuji Pro 160S (discontinued, I need to find a new favorite...)

B&W - Fuji Acros

IMO, color is easier.

There is only one variable with color - temperature. Once you figure out how to control that (a hot water bath works great), the rest is easy.

With B&W, everything is a variable. Developer, film, what you rated the film at, temperature, dilution...

If you like grain, try Kentemere 400. There is not much data on it online (as far as dev times and such) - but I use a ****load of it (edit- that means that if you have questions, there's a good chance that I know the answer). Develop it in Rodinal if you love grain. It's also a very pushable film, which I like. TMax Dev gives the least amount of grain, IMO (with K400).

Last edited:

I'm so excited. I don't plan on developing myself.
Can you tell me why ? Who gonna do it for you ? Nowadays you shoot Tri-X, you develop it.:salute:

I'd usually get color film developed and prints made, and with B&W would get the film developed and maybe have a contact or proof sheet done, then I'd make my own prints, but that was when I was using a community darkroom at a local university (which is in a building now being remodeled). I like Kodak TMAX and Ilford B&W films.

There are fewer options locally so I started sending out - just started using The Darkroom in San Francisco, flat rate is $10 per roll developed and scanned with other options for prints etc. There are other places you can send film, send me a PM if you want some resources. You could try looking up the Film Photography Project too.

If you like magenta and want something interesting, Rollei's been marketing some unusual films, Blackbird, Redbird, Nightbird etc. - I think the last one is supposed to have a magenta hue.

Lomography is going to be coming out with 'purple' film. It's similar to Kodak aerochrome (which I'd never heard of) and I don't think the new film will be truly infrared as the original was, but it is supposed to have a look similar to color IR, red is green (or vice versa? I forget).

What is your favorite film and why?

also, I'm new to this, but if you have any suggestions: I like grain, a lot. A bit washed out and perhaps magenta hued (though not so much as lomo. I know the "wash out" is partly due to exposure and the magenta is usually caused by the lens. But if there's anything you think I'd like, I'd love to hear. For BW, grain is always good. Lol
Try shooting some 400H, overexpose the crap out of it, and have RPL scan it on their Frontier's.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back