Favorite Lens for Wedding Photography

Unless they are hanging white sheets from the ceiling, you are not going to get great shots with your flash. That's because you won't be able to bounce it off the barn walls or ceiling. That is the preferred method for using a flash at an event venue, and that's because without that you have to shoot the flash directly at the subject creating a very harsh lighting situation. I would definitely not buy a lens specifically for this event, and I would instead rent something like a 50 millimeter 1.4 or a 70-200 millimeter 2.8. Those are both staple favourites amongst a lot of wedding photographers.
But also don't be stressed out about all of this information flying at you. The person who asked you to shoot these images is going to be really happy with them as long as they can actually see what is going on in the photos. Another tip is to find out what's formal family shots she wants to get in advance. Have a list with everybody's name on it grouped with who she wants in what photos. I.E. bride and groom, bride and groom with brides parents, bride and groom with grooms parents, etc.

Since the wedding is already over not sure it matters much. Do wish the op wold share the results.

Since the wedding is already over not sure it matters much. Do wish the op wold share the results.
It's all still useful for the person that clicks cause they're in the same situation. :) I also hope the OP shares some of the results.

I agree with whoever recommended a 24-70mm f2.8. I checked out your D7000 on the Image Comparator web site, and found it to be very good up to 3200 ISO. If I were to do a wedding I would use my 18-135 Sony, even though it is an f3.5 to F5.6. You should do fine unless you intend to light up the entire barn.

depending on where you will be able/have to stand

That's what everybody overlooks .. These questions are always which "lens" do I need when it should be which "lenses" ... I was once restricted to the back wall at a wedding .. 75ft to the alter in a super dark catholic cathedral .. no flash .. no walking the side walls and no stepping out into the aisle. LOL ... point being if you are not capable of handling any surprise thrown your way then you risk ruining a once in a lifetime moment for somebody.

Most reactions

Back