favorite lens?

It would have to be the 24-70 f2.8. Love the focal range and sharpness of the lens its self and don't even get me started on the build quality:drool:

70-200 f/2.8
I use that sucker for EVERYTHING.

My favorite lens is whatever works best in that lighting scenario and is very situational. I love my 135 and 85 in back lighting and the golden hour. I love my 50 for receptions because it is super fast. I like my 24-70 becuase it is very universal. I like my 70-200's for ceremonies because of the longer focal length and the quality is top notch. I like my macro for ring shots and I use it for portraits too. The white balance is very good on that lens w/o using an ExpoDisc on auto WB.

Much of my shooting is stuff for my contracting business, in the field. Low light is "usually" not an issue, but when it is, I generally can get by with on-camera fill flash. So for my purposes, the 24-105mm f/4 lens is my go-to lens. It's sharp enough, and has enough zoom range for most of my needs. When doing my "hobby" shooting, I almost always have the camera on a tripod, just because it allows me time to compose and review the scene, so low-light performance is not an issue. Family shots are usually indoors, and then I'm shooting f/5.6 to f/8 with bounce flash, so again, low-light performance is not a strong requirement for me. As for sharpness, that lens is reasonably sharp and again, there are many other things that will diminish sharpness (slow shutter speed, imprecise focus, subject movement, etc.) that are not related to the lens itself. When getting the maximum resolution is key, then I go to my Tamrom 90mm macro for close-up stuff, and my 70-200mm f/4 for more distance subjects, with the camera on a tripod, etc.

texkam said:
85 1.8 shoots some sweet pics.

Do you ever do a family session with this lens? I just got this lens and so far have used it for single portraits, but it's so sharp, I really am thinking about trying jt out on a family session...

pgriz said:
Much of my shooting is stuff for my contracting business, in the field. Low light is "usually" not an issue, but when it is, I generally can get by with on-camera fill flash. So for my purposes, the 24-105mm f/4 lens is my go-to lens. It's sharp enough, and has enough zoom range for most of my needs. When doing my "hobby" shooting, I almost always have the camera on a tripod, just because it allows me time to compose and review the scene, so low-light performance is not an issue. Family shots are usually indoors, and then I'm shooting f/5.6 to f/8 with bounce flash, so again, low-light performance is not a strong requirement for me. As for sharpness, that lens is reasonably sharp and again, there are many other things that will diminish sharpness (slow shutter speed, imprecise focus, subject movement, etc.) that are not related to the lens itself. When getting the maximum resolution is key, then I go to my Tamrom 90mm macro for close-up stuff, and my 70-200mm f/4 for more distance subjects, with the camera on a tripod, etc.

Right now my 24-105 f4 is my go to lens...I do only portrait photography... pretty sharp when used correctly... oh & I'm sure you knew, but just in case..always turn it's IS off when using it on a tripod for much sharper images :) sounds like alot of people are enjoying the 70-200 f2.8...heard it's amazing, but never had any experience with it..I have the 70-200 f4 & it performs fairly well...

My favorite lens for taking shots of bug is the 100mm macro
My favorite lens for family events such as birthday parties is the Tamron 17-50mm
My favorite lens for outdoor family photos of my wife and kid are the 85mm and 70-200mm
My favorite lens for outdoor wide shots is the 10-20mm
My favorite lens for take still object product (about the size of a soda can) photos is my 50mm lens, but sometimes I use the Tamron 17-50mm.

In general, the Tamron 17-50mm is the one that mounted on the camera most of the time.

On full frame, my 70-200 2.8 is my go to for shooting people. The 24-70 2.8 is my general purpose, shoot-everything option.

Ditto. I actually find the 24-70 EXTREMELY boring. I LOVE my 70-200. Now if I had an 85f1.4G I might love that more, anyone care to donate?

Reviews say the 85 1.8 is just as sharp as the 1.4... way more affordable too :)

Do you ever do a family session with this lens? I just got this lens and so far have used it for single portraits, but it's so sharp, I really am thinking about trying jt out on a family session...
Haven't had the opportunity, but wouldn't rule it out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back