favorite lens?

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
70-200 f/2.8 is probably #1. For portraiture, the 70-200/2.8 gets the nod much of the time, even though I have all the prime lenses from 24 to 400mm. For "people", an 85mm lens is pretty handy for close-range work that appears naturalistic. For shooting from longer distances, 135mm gets the nod.

For landscapes, I often find myself selecting a 24, or 35, or 45mm-P. Those might sound close in focal length, but they are each decidedly different lengths. I find this question of "favorite lens" to be almost like my 9 year-old son's question, "Dad, what is your favorite color?" I always tell him the same thing: "I do not HAVE a favorite color,son. I like them all pretty much the same."

On this 85mm 1.4 vs 1.8 issue...I have the older 85 1.4 AF-D, a very good sample. When you look at it, it has a very sharp central region, and the corners are much,much softer, down to about f/5.6, where the corners and the center seem equally sharp and free of fall-off. it has SUPERB background bokeh....it is often called "the Cream Machine" by people who like a smoothly-defocused background with no onion bokeh, no hashy-ness,no double-lining, and no nervousness,etc,etc. The "new" 1.4G looks similar to me, from what I have seen. The brand-new 85 1.8 AF-S G I bought this summer; it is not a "portrait" lens like the 85 1.4 AF-D is...it is very sharp across the field, and has a much more neutral, almost sterile rendering...it is a VERY high-grade optic in the new plastic barrel style of the 2010-'s Nikkor high-end prosumer models.

Tee

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I thought about this thread on my drive home. Two years ago, I would've said 24-70, 18 months ago it was the 85mm, a year ago the 70-200 and lately as I get more into primes I find myself having the 50mm and 28mm on my camera more. With that said, the 70-200 is such a great lens that if forced to make a decision, that would be my pick.

TheBiles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos OK to edit
70-200 f/2.8 IS II. Ridiculously sharp, very good IS, and the perfect focal length range on a full-frame.

irfan.in.tx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Do you ever do a family session with this lens? I just got this lens and so far have used it for single portraits, but it's so sharp, I really am thinking about trying jt out on a family session...
Haven't had the opportunity, but wouldn't rule it out.

You can do a family group of 3-4 with a crop sensor camera, just have to have the working distance.

fjrabon

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The best lens I have ever used:

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L Mk II Somedays the only thing that really motivates me to go to work is that lens. Just such a pleasure to use.

HughGuessWho

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
fjrabon said:
The best lens I have ever used:

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L Mk II Somedays the only thing that really motivates me to go to work is that lens. Just such a pleasure to use.

Ditto. That lens stays on my camera 95% of the time. On occasion I will pull out my 10-20 when the situation calls for it.

Superdaantje

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
EOSfotografie.nl
Photos NOT OK to edit
MY most used lenses are the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II and 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. Use them on a FF body.

Hate the 24-70 II on a crop body. Do not like the focal lenght on crop. When I had a crop body I would properly use the 17-55 or 15-85

OP
mommyof4qteez

mommyof4qteez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback..seems like the 70-200 f2.8 L is the clear favorite :)

Professional

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Difficult to tell because i have many formats and bodies, shooting many things such as landscapes, sports, portraits,..etc. so i can't make one lens preference, and i bought all my lenses now for reasons, if i need them then i will not buy them at all, i only sell old lenses that i upgraded to newer versions, simple as that.

rexbobcat

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The Canon 24mm f/1.4 II

And the

Canon 85mm f/1.8

The resolution of these lenses is incredible even at wide open apertures.

ChrisedwardsHT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I don't own it. But I have rented it. The 70-200 2.8 Is. I haven't shot the mrk2 of the lens but the mrk 1 worked AWESOME for me. Excellent AF timing, sharp and great focal length for portraits. Played with it for a couple hours at the local skatepark.. Wish I had more time there with it.

Also 50mm 1.8/1.4.. Don't have the 1.4 (rented it) 1.8 I have and I like it....buttttt the 1.4 is a lot better build quality and seems to me a bit sharper. Used it for everything from walking around, portraits and group pics.

four20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
the one that gets the most use out of my bag is the ol' 28-135mm [dons flame suit :lmao: ] . i've beat the snot outta that lens for the last 4 yrs and it has served me pretty well. i'll be upgrading to the 24-105mm at some point in the near future, tho

10-20mm Sigma has to be a very close second

i'll echo the sentiments on the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. rented it numerous times and cry every time i drop it off at FedEx. can't justify buying one to the wife, but i'll keep playing the powerball ;)

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics