favorite lens?

70-200 f/2.8 is probably #1. For portraiture, the 70-200/2.8 gets the nod much of the time, even though I have all the prime lenses from 24 to 400mm. For "people", an 85mm lens is pretty handy for close-range work that appears naturalistic. For shooting from longer distances, 135mm gets the nod.

For landscapes, I often find myself selecting a 24, or 35, or 45mm-P. Those might sound close in focal length, but they are each decidedly different lengths. I find this question of "favorite lens" to be almost like my 9 year-old son's question, "Dad, what is your favorite color?" I always tell him the same thing: "I do not HAVE a favorite color,son. I like them all pretty much the same."

On this 85mm 1.4 vs 1.8 issue...I have the older 85 1.4 AF-D, a very good sample. When you look at it, it has a very sharp central region, and the corners are much,much softer, down to about f/5.6, where the corners and the center seem equally sharp and free of fall-off. it has SUPERB background bokeh....it is often called "the Cream Machine" by people who like a smoothly-defocused background with no onion bokeh, no hashy-ness,no double-lining, and no nervousness,etc,etc. The "new" 1.4G looks similar to me, from what I have seen. The brand-new 85 1.8 AF-S G I bought this summer; it is not a "portrait" lens like the 85 1.4 AF-D is...it is very sharp across the field, and has a much more neutral, almost sterile rendering...it is a VERY high-grade optic in the new plastic barrel style of the 2010-'s Nikkor high-end prosumer models.

I thought about this thread on my drive home. Two years ago, I would've said 24-70, 18 months ago it was the 85mm, a year ago the 70-200 and lately as I get more into primes I find myself having the 50mm and 28mm on my camera more. With that said, the 70-200 is such a great lens that if forced to make a decision, that would be my pick.

70-200 f/2.8 IS II. Ridiculously sharp, very good IS, and the perfect focal length range on a full-frame.

Do you ever do a family session with this lens? I just got this lens and so far have used it for single portraits, but it's so sharp, I really am thinking about trying jt out on a family session...
Haven't had the opportunity, but wouldn't rule it out.

You can do a family group of 3-4 with a crop sensor camera, just have to have the working distance.

The best lens I have ever used:

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L Mk II Somedays the only thing that really motivates me to go to work is that lens. Just such a pleasure to use.

fjrabon said:
The best lens I have ever used:

Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L Mk II Somedays the only thing that really motivates me to go to work is that lens. Just such a pleasure to use.

Ditto. That lens stays on my camera 95% of the time. On occasion I will pull out my 10-20 when the situation calls for it.

MY most used lenses are the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II and 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. Use them on a FF body.

Hate the 24-70 II on a crop body. Do not like the focal lenght on crop. When I had a crop body I would properly use the 17-55 or 15-85

Thanks for all the feedback..seems like the 70-200 f2.8 L is the clear favorite :)

Difficult to tell because i have many formats and bodies, shooting many things such as landscapes, sports, portraits,..etc. so i can't make one lens preference, and i bought all my lenses now for reasons, if i need them then i will not buy them at all, i only sell old lenses that i upgraded to newer versions, simple as that.

The Canon 24mm f/1.4 II

And the

Canon 85mm f/1.8

The resolution of these lenses is incredible even at wide open apertures.

I don't own it. But I have rented it. The 70-200 2.8 Is. I haven't shot the mrk2 of the lens but the mrk 1 worked AWESOME for me. Excellent AF timing, sharp and great focal length for portraits. Played with it for a couple hours at the local skatepark.. Wish I had more time there with it.

Also 50mm 1.8/1.4.. Don't have the 1.4 (rented it) 1.8 I have and I like it....buttttt the 1.4 is a lot better build quality and seems to me a bit sharper. Used it for everything from walking around, portraits and group pics.

the one that gets the most use out of my bag is the ol' 28-135mm [dons flame suit :lmao: ] . i've beat the snot outta that lens for the last 4 yrs and it has served me pretty well. i'll be upgrading to the 24-105mm at some point in the near future, tho

10-20mm Sigma has to be a very close second

i'll echo the sentiments on the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. rented it numerous times and cry every time i drop it off at FedEx. can't justify buying one to the wife, but i'll keep playing the powerball ;)

Most reactions

Back