Favorite lenses for weddings

bogleric

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am interested in knowing what everyones favorites lenses are for weddings.

I am looking at getting some new lenses that are faster which are listed below. I have considered third party in the past but never actually gone that route.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens[/FONT]

My Current favorite is the 28 - 105 f/4 but there are some clear limitations to this.

those two lenses are part of the 'terrific trio' (or whatever you want to call it) for weddings. the 16-35 2.8, the 24-70 2.8, and the 70-200 2.8L IS. you obviously should pick a lens depending on your style of shooting. if you have a good longer range lens with a fairly large max aperture (like a 135 f2) and you don't really shoot long range very much, then the 70-200IS might not be that important. I was skeptical about the IS being that great until I tried it. it is amazing. i've had keepers from shooting at 200mm at 1/30th, which is incredible. i would strongly recommend the 70-200IS if you know you'll shoot long range.

what other lenses do you have?

I have an 18-55 kit lens which I never use. I think it feels cheap and doesn't perform all that well.

I also have a 28-105 USM that is f3.5-4.5, not an L, but when a flash can be used is actually quite sharp and performs well. I like the versatile range of the zoom. Then I have a 75 - 300 which I only use for outdoor photography, mainly when I am out hiking in the woods. This is the USM and not the crappy one, but not an L either. Doesn't perform very well above 200mm, but it was not so expensive and therefore good to wander with in the woods.

For zoom lenses...those are two of the best. I've been told by many that the 24-70 F2.8 L is the wedding lens. Although it might be a bit long on your camera (I assume it's a Rebel/XT/20D/30D). An alternative to that lens would be the EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS.

It's said to be nearly as sharp as an 'L' lens and it's got the benefit of a constant wide aperture and IS. Although IS on a lens that short is not as big a benefit as it on longer lenses. The major drawback to this lens is that it's an EF-S and will only fit the cameras I listed. It will not work on a full frame digital, should you one day decide to upgrade. That's a big drawback for a lens that is quite expensive.

I love the fisheye, the 85 mm, and the 70-200 for the ceremony, but the 35 mm, the 50 mm, and the fish for receptions.

I currently use the following:
-20mm
-100mm Macro
-50mm
-70-200 2.8L IS

I would say that nearly all of them get used at every wedding. Love the macro for the detail shots and the DOF is very nice. The 20mm I use for scene setting at the church and for larger groups. The 70-200 I use during the ceremony to get close ups when I can't be close and the 50mm gets the most use for small group formals and the reception.

I used to use a 50mm f/1.4 but I like the 85mm f/1.8 much more. I love that lens.

I have a 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 but for that range I prefer the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS.

Sometimes an EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6

24-70mm 2.8 L for most shots (90%), 70-200mm 2.8 L IS for some, 50mm 1.8 - just got (haven't shot a wedding since I got it but am TOTALLY looking forward to using it since it's an awesome lens and a Sigma 17-35mm 2.8 for those really wide shots (a few per wedding)

50mm/1.4 and 24/1.4.

I'd like to add an 85mm soon.

I use my Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Sigma 28 f/1.8, and Canon 85 f/1.8 the most. I've been very happy with the Sigma lenses (that 28mm will close focus at about 4 cm.). There is no doubt in my mind that they are as sharp as similar lenses made by Canon. The only issue may be that some folks say they don't auto-focus as well as Canon lenses, but that's a moot point for me as I hate Canon AF, and have installed manual focus screens in my 20D's. When I have tried them out on AF, it didn't seem to me to do any worse job than the Canon brand lenses do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back