Favorite Photographers (and those who influence you the most)

Igor39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just browsing through some images of new photography on the MoMA website and it got me wondering who do TPF members admire in photography. Also what photographers would you say influence you the most. Personally I really enjoy the Fine Arts work of Jeff Wall, his image always seem to capture motion perfectly, and they always have one central theme but with so many little details that are not revealed until you take a closer look and really study the photograph. His installations are also amazing, I saw one his pieces titled The Eviction in the Pinakothek Der Moderne in Munich, it was amazing, about 5 by 10 if I remember correctly, and backlit as well. he would be one of my favorite photographers but as far as influences go I would have to say James Nachtwey, the photojournalist, would have to be one of my biggest.

I basically don't know many photographers outsides of TPF. (a couple in real life but still not that many.)

People like abraxas, NJMAN, etc. always inspire me with their photos, and in some circumstances I try to use their style. I just always strive to get better, and I think I am getting better.

Steve McCurry (www.stevemccurry.com) is my favorite PJ but I think my all time fave is the great Ansel Adams (not to be too cliche' or anything...). Check out 'clearing winter storm' and 'Snake river, teton range', both absolutely amazing photographs by Adams.

My great idol and perhaps some form of inspiration, not so much in form, but in content and meaning, is Sally Mann. Her nature and landscape work along with her people shots are so full of feelings. I wish that I could come close too capturing what was real in the way she does. Her work is a true testament too generations to come.

Eric Kroll one of the best in my opinion, Ansel Adams (when I was a wee lad, I just fell in love with his work and had posters of his work on my walls), Canadian Edward Burtynsky who does "landscapes transformed by industry" beautiful amazing works. A series by photographer Michael Wolf who did a 100 photographs of a hundred rooms at 100 sq. feet in size in one of China's oldest housing projects. A.Palmer who shot the for one of the War departments in the states during WW2 cannot recall which off hand and he did some amazing works during that time, he continued after but to me it was when he did his most important and best work. I could go on but will stop at those 5, far too many for me to list, always been amazed by many great photographers.

Ansel Adams is great. Henri Cartier Bresson, (yes, both are cliché, but oh well) Noboyushi Araki, Robert Capa.

edit: just reread the first post and dunno how I left out James Nachtwey since he's one of my faves as well. I was sold on him after watching his documentary.

I would say my most-loved is Saul Leiter. I haven't seen a whole lot of his work (currently trying to pick up some of his books) but it's quite amazing.

I'm also into Larry Fink, Franz Roh, Frantisek Drtikol, John Divola and James Fee.

I've always liked Harry Callahan and Gordon Park's stuff, but I'm going to have to say my favorite photographer is without a doubt Joey Lawrence. A lot of it is photoshopped, but the end product is amazing, and the end product is what matters most to me.

Most reactions

Back