Favorite Type of photography

1stimpressions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well this is my first time posting on this forum and i need some help from my fellow shutter junkies. Im writing a paper for school on different types of photography and reasons why people like that type of photography. So if you can be kind and write 3 different types of photography that is your favorite and why. For example: Portrait- I like peoples different facial expressions Landscape- I love nature Night- The colors and the lighting Thank you and I really appreciate it.

I like portrait and landscape also. Portrait because it keep a "record" of the person face and expression at a point in time. Same reason for landscape, I mean, usually a scene in nature change from day to day even if it's minute. I also like taking picture of building and architecture just to show what thing look like so many years ago when I get old.

I like close-up and macro photography, mostly so of things in nature, because I really like how the camera can "cut" a subject out of its context and give it a whole new frame and context by highlighting said subject (say a flower, a leaf, an insect) ... and by blurring out all the rest. This is something our eyes can't do.

I also like nature photography (and best of all backlit plants) because of the wonderful natural colours, mostly so the different greens there are!

And I like photos of architecture and have found a new love for modern architecture through photography because again the new frame that photos can give the things we see helps see the geometrical forms so much better that are often present in modern architecture, repetitive elements, contrasting things (such as composing a photo of parts of two different buildings, thus highlighting their differences) and all this.

And I like street phtoography for their little or big every day dramas you can capture and "freeze" for all times.

mine is Ottergraphy and architecture

I like candid photography, or "street" photography, if you will. I find that candid photos best capture the story in that moment of time. The best thing about it, I find, is that each frame tells a different story, a story unique to that specific moment of time, that will never be duplicated, because time and experiences change so fast. Candid photography also best helps me to remember what happened, whereas posed photos don't. For example, a kid blowing out candles on a birthday cake vs. a kid holding the presents s/he got and smiling for the camera. I just think that candid photos are more authentic.

I think portraiture and perhaps wedding photography come at near the top of my list becuase that event records a (usually) very joyous event. Every other kind of style I enjoy too.

I also enjoy learning about things like advanced post processing, panorama and HDR.

There is not much that I do not enjoy in photography!

I like wildlife photography the most as I am an avid outdoors person and it is a natural extension of it . To be able to record my outdoor expirience and share it with others makes it all the more of an expirience. Viewing wildlife is mostly a solitary expirience to be succesful at it in my opinion. Photographing it allows me to share a personal and meditative time after the fact.

Training bird dogs and competitively field trialing them brings out the sports/action photographer in me. Great photos in this area pass convey the action and physical abilities to the viewer which is very challenging. I like the challange and it also gives me great pleasure to present friends and fellow competitors with recorded memories of which very few try to capture.

A few of shots to try and explain what I strive for.
Sandhills4forposting-1.jpg

Hawk026_edited-1.jpg

PineIsland013.jpg

In order from favorite to most favorite

Landscapes

more specifically;

Desert Landscapes

even more specifically;

Mojave Desert Landscapes.

... That's 3. Don't know why I like 'em, just do.

I like Candid, Portrait, and Macro. Why? I dunno, just seems to be what I end up liking the results of the most. Especially Candid. A good Candid shot is like finding gold for me.

Still a beginner, but in the 2-3 months I've had my dSLR, I discovered I like working in the studio and on the street. I like portrait photography, photojournalism and nude photography. I generally like photographing people in different contexts.

I like portraiture. I can break that down into 3 favorites.
1st- children. I like candid's the best. I like capturing a moment that reflects the soul and beauty of a child
2nd- Wedding. I don't shoot it myself but I like looking at the photos and appreciate the time/work necessary to get that candid moment.
3rd- candid studio portraiture

Sports. Capturing the thrill of the moment. Or to use a very worn out phrase. Capturing the "Thrill of victory and the agony of defeat."

Nature. Capturing the beauty in the world. Perhaps capturing something that in the not too distant future may not be around to be seen. I'm talking about true nature photography, not the local zoo, but up in the high country, the remote forest or where ever nature still exists in an unspoiled as possible state in today's modern world.

Portrait. Capturing the beauty of the of the human spirit in all of its complexities.

Absolute least favorite: Weddings There is nothing more unappealing in this world than bridezilla and mommyzilla. I would rather shoot pictures of toe jam than shoot a wedding.

snowsports - action, techinical challenge, and variety

People - to me that means people on the street, because it pushes me to interface with them. It's not about sneaking a shot, or "grabbing a candid" - to me street photography is a full contact sport that forces me to be part of the the environment. Check my blog for samples. If I can get a shot that is as close and full of life as I might get being at a party, then I know I was fully engaged and part of the action.

Architecture - it is the same technical discipline as Landscape, but it requires you to think about people. How do you interface with the structures? How do people belong in it?

Abstract work - using the camera and po-processing skills (darkroom and/or Photoshop) to create a wholly new image.

Most reactions

Back