FBI reprimanded me for taking pictures...

TheSon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at the airport and my flight was delayed 2 hours.

Hmmm... what to do... take pictures of the minimalist architecture throughout the terminal? YES.

I had, in the back of my mind, a thought that maybe it was illegal since 9/11, but I ignored that little birdy.

So...I made it about 10 feet and 7 pictures when two guys come over and they're like, "hey, can we talk to you over here?"
Me: "Sure."
Feddy: "Ummm... so why you taking photographs? Can we see the pictures?"
This is when the one guy flips out a feddy badge and told me they are the anti-terror unit.
Me: "Well... here's a picture of the telephone booth, the fluorescent light fixture, the windows, etc." I'm kinda being a smartass now.
I offer to delete the images.
feddy: "No... just stop taking pictures."

They were pretty nice about it. I was going to strike up a conversation to kill time about any unusual "suspects" they've encountered, but I just let it go and put my camera away.

That was my excitement at the airport. After that I resumed my earlier (safer) book reading.

Here's one of the seven I took...
light.jpg

As I said in an earlier thread, we are artists, they are not. Those philistines will never understand why we love doing what we do.

As much as I'd like to say, "Well, I'm not strategizing locations to lace napalm throughout the airport", but that would probably be more trouble than fun :lol:

I'd like to think that my answer would have been: "Photography is a hobby of mine, I enjoy creating art, that's all there is to it. This airport has some very nice structural patterns, geometry and lighting that make for very artistic photos."

I got a few of my new favorite photos in an airport recently:

And even one inside the plane:

Last edited:
Wow... What a story... I wouldn't know what to do.

epp B Love the 2nd shot...

I am fascinated by airport security. In the last few months I have found this:

Brisbane airport - relieved me of an toothpaste tube that was above 120mL limit, despite the tube being empty. No further issues

Singapore airport - wonderful, people are nice, security is armed with automatic weapons, and they pad down EVERYONE. Only metal detector to go off even when I had no metal on me. But I took about 35 photos at the airport of planes and the architecture with no questions.

Munich - These very strange people asked me to remove the lens from my camera, remove all lens caps, look through the camera, examine it in detail, then asked me to take a photo. Once satisfied that I was carrying a camera and not some weird Nikon shaped bomb, they proceeded to do a bomb swab but only on the camera. Very strange. Didn't really feel like trying to take photos after that.

Vancouver - No security issues but customs seemed to not like the fact that I am here mostly for skiing but could not name the two mountains right next to Vancouver.

Anywhere in america - Wouldn't know because of the new absolutely retarded system of registering your intent to enter the country. Way to go Homeland security we are now officially back in 1960 before passports were machine readable. Anyway I filled out my form with my name passport number, ticked I was not a terrorist, so I'll see in 72 hours if I get to visit Seattle or not.

On my way to Malaysia and back a few years ago, I stopped in Hong Kong both ways. In the Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong and Calgary airports, and on each jet inbetween, I took massive amounts of photos and didn't even get looked at. I might have just been lucky, I don't know.

No security issues but customs seemed to not like the fact that I am here mostly for skiing but could not name the two mountains right next to Vancouver.
Right, because, an Australian is supposed to know his Canadian geography? Please.

Canadian Customs officers are almost always dickheads for whatever reason.

I've never had a problem in airports or on the planes taking pictures. They are public places and therefore open to photography. Not to start the big argument over public expectations again...just stating I've never had problems.

I take pics in airports all the time, it is part of a long-term project I'm working on.

Best moment EVAH! was when airport security found my Giotto Rocket in my carry-on. I will NOT be bringing one of those on the plane again...

giottos-rocket-air-blower.jpg

I take pics in airports all the time, it is part of a long-term project I'm working on.

Best moment EVAH! was when airport security found my Giotto Rocket in my carry-on. I will NOT be bringing one of those on the plane again...

I bed that's a really funny story. As a matter of fact I can think of about 20 funny stories or jokes that could have came from that... lol

I have that same blower, and on my way back, at an airport in Poland, the guy saw it in my carry-on on the X-ray machine and says "Is there a hookah in there?" :lol:

I carry a pad locked 1550 Pelican hard case through the airport. I even have the rocket blower inside but it is usually squished. Never had any task force pull me aside but they do take extra attention to me as I pass through TSA inspection area. I usually just cooperate 100% and show them everything inside.

As for taking pictures, the FBI agent handled the situation appropriately. He can ask you to stop taking pictures (Airport is not public) BUT he also knew that he cannot make you delete your pictures. All handled with respectful manner.

This is wonderful news. Most of the time officers (no offense) are not knowledgeable and often a bit too aggressive in such situations.

Munich - These very strange people asked me to remove the lens from my camera, remove all lens caps, look through the camera, examine it in detail, then asked me to take a photo. Once satisfied that I was carrying a camera and not some weird Nikon shaped bomb, they proceeded to do a bomb swab but only on the camera. Very strange. Didn't really feel like trying to take photos after that.

This happened to me too!... in Newark Airport in New Jersey, USA. I had to
* Open each lens and show that they can see through them
* Snap a picture of my two camera bodies
* Empty and layout everything on the table for a visual inspection.
* Open plastic can of 35mm film ( now I just leave them at home)
* Turn on and off my Epson P2000 image viewer.

Then

* They took a swab and took some samples from my case and run it through some machine. I presume trying to detect if I had any explosive type residue.

Fortunately, it has only happened once (or twice). Now they just open it up and look inside.

It's a shame you got hassled. I have killed time in airports by taking pictures many times since 9/11 and no one has ever questioned or stopped me.

Airport security can be a pain in the butt. That's why if I ever go overseas again, I'm driving.

Most reactions

Back