February '07 Photo Challenge - "Long Exposure" - Sponsored by joby.com

VPS = short exposures and they have what they call SHORT.

VPL = LONG exposures and they have a range for those..

At some point VPS ends and VPL starts..

I keep using this film as a reference only because .. "it is a PROFESSONAL film" with RANGES

NOW IF YOU look carefully at a Luna Pro light meter you see that the RANGE on THAT METER goes from 1/10,000 of a second to 8 hours

now .. define short ! ? or long ? the ONLY reference I know of.. (not that I consider my self of ANY authority .. NO! BUT it is the ONLY thing I can find. which gives a starting pont ! KODAK!

I guess I will have to find a data sheet on VPL to compare with the data sheet for VPS film

I will post the results when I find them!

VPS = short exposures and they have what they call SHORT.

VPL = LONG exposures and they have a range for those..

At some point VPS ends and VPL starts..

I keep using this film as a reference only because .. "it is a PROFESSONAL film" with RANGES

NOW IF YOU look carefully at a Luna Pro light meter you see that the RANGE on THAT METER goes from 1/10,000 of a second to 8 hours

now .. define short ! ? or long ? the ONLY reference I know of.. (not that I consider my self of ANY authority .. NO! BUT it is the ONLY thing I can find. which gives a starting pont ! KODAK!

I guess I will have to find a data sheet on VPL to compare with the data sheet for VPS film

I will post the results when I find them!

I thought my arbitrary, personal opinion had some merit. A fraction of a second is short in common day terms.

However, to admit the other side has a point, one mans lifetime in the perspective of the age of the universe, is a blink of the eye. That's short. If you are 90, that's long in relative human terms.

The point is, in what context is short, short and long, long? :lol:

If you were taking a photo on glass plates, during the Civil War, a short exposure might be 10 seconds. ;) When the early 35 mm cameras came out and one no longer needed a tripod to take a picture, 1/125th or 1/250th was short.

Anyway the month is almost over and then we can discuss what is ??? for next months March assignment. :thumbup:

Long or short is not only relative to the context but open to subjective arguments. Unless someone finds a book or article from a photo authority saying "long exposure is defined as..." we'll never have an absolute answer for the question.

The one I did find, says, "long exposure is defined as one second or over, or showing typical motion effects associated with a long exposure."

Kodak defines where VPS stops. and VPL begins..

I will do the research -=one cick=-

Re-search =two clicks.

that was a "joke"

let me find the data sheets..

I have stressed.. this at lease two / three times in this thread

Are Kodak's requirements considered valid? I can show motion in an image using 1/30 or higher. ?? Now I AM ALL CONFUSED. becuasethe bold quote you inserted, ? well now I can easily show motion @ 125 of a second very easily if something is coming towards me.

I will post Kodaks advice! and find what other informaton I can find. but VPS and VPL are the only films that I know of that are specificaly designed for a limited "RANGE" EV 1 ? EV 3 ? I WILL BE BACK..:grumpy: in time for next months contest!

Alright, I'm sending mine in. Hopefully I won't have issues like I did in December, and hopefully this time mine isn't too "abstract" to get votes ;).

Alright, I'm sending mine in. Hopefully I won't have issues like I did in December, and hopefully this time mine isn't too "abstract" to get votes ;).

Darn I was going to write, Please Don't Enter. I need that tripod. :lmao:

This is the only photo BB where I've ever entered anything, and it's been great fun. The mix here and the general open and kind atmosphere makes it "the place". I plan on entering every month from now on. (and not winning anything) :lol:

Slow shutter almost shouts "abstract". Good luck.

Mmm....two more days, you say...

K....here's the thing...

I'm going out tonight to shoot for this, as I just borrowed a tripod now.

One problem is I may not get home before midnight....

I have my camera set to the proper date and time, so if I end up submitting it at, like, 1 AM, but the time is still in February...that cool? ;)

As long as it comes in before I post them it's cool. I normally get a few in the morning following the deadline. Just make sure you complete the form properly when you send it. If you send it in a rush and miss something it might not be included.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back