Fed up with this

Rhys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm so sick of phonecalls from leeches that want me to buy something from them. Today it was some turkey from "super pages" that engaged me in a long and boring conversation about where I was to be listed. Finally he mentioned money after about 20 minutes which is where I told him to b....r off. If it's not some scumbag like that then it's some scam artist selling insurance or some no-hoper trying to leech off me as an assistant.

What is it with people these days - have they no pride. Why has everybody taken to leeching and mooching as honourable professions?

Why don't you put yourself on the do not call list?

You can hang up after 20 seconds, not 20 minutes though :wink:

You can hang up after 20 seconds, not 20 minutes though :wink:

Yes. I'll have to get better at recognising US timewasters. I can recognise timewasters in the UK though. They also take up less time as the calls are shorter due to UK calls being more expensive.

It helps when people say they want money straight up. This guy was slimey and devious, using words other than payment and money. He was also hard to understand as he seemed to be from India.

If it's not some scumbag like that then it's some scam artist selling insurance or some no-hoper trying to leech off me as an assistant.

I also get fed up with solicitors... But, I can't possibly put job applicants and aspiring photogs into the same class. Or hold them in the same disdain. :confused:

I have this same problem to. They usualy ask for me to buy credit cards and other junk i do not need.

Once my father asked one of thoes leeches how they would enjoy it if he would call them at home.

Yet to this day I still cant figure out how to stop these leeches.

Once I got angry. I used words like leeches and scam artists to describe them. Then I figured they were just trying to make a dollar. More power to them. I basically do not believe that angry feelings toward them is ever going to solve anything. Know that there are tons of watch dog and consumer advocate groups out there. If any one is interested talk to them.

Love & Bass

I just try to sell them something, usually one of my kids is selling something for a school fund raiser.

I wish some of you would realize that those who work in call centers, or at least the ones who you're gonna talk on the phone with, are people too and they're in that job to try to earn money to live by. They're definitely not paid WELL and even more so to those in India and other nations (they're in BAD poverty over there, and no matter how bad his accent is at least he can speak a language other than his own, can't say that for a lot of people here). It's really one of those "get by" jobs.

Ok, here is what you do with the next phone sales person.

Once you realize that they are a sales person tell them that you are VERY interested in their product and tell them to hold while you get some paper and a pen to take notes. Then lay the phone down an go back to what ever activity you were doing before you were interrupted. In about five minutes pick up the phone and ask if they are still holding. If they are, tell them you are VERY interested in their product and ask them to hold. Continue doing this every 5 - 10 minutes until they are no longer waiting for you.

Do this to the same company a few times and they will not call back.

I worked in a call centre for almost a year. Basically what I did is switch people from OLD (more expensive) plans to newer plans with better rates. People tried the most obnoxious things, but first of all we were able to hang up after xx amount of seconds if there was no response, or we were put on hold for more than xx amount of time. And secondly, in my situation people, once they stopped being rude were actually thanking ME for calling at the end. And yes all of us are people too, and no I don't live in India, or another far off country.
For you folks out there who are the rude people that have no respect for someone else here's what you do:
There is such a thing as a "Do Not Call" list, and like someone mentioned, it has nothing to do with your number being listed or not. SO before you swear\put someone on hold for hours here's what you tell them.. First listen to what they're calling about, because who knows what it is they're offering, heck I was offering FREE service for 3 months of high def. cable at one point, NO strings attached.. Then if you're still not interested, say "PLEASE put this number on the Do Not Call list". They LEGALLY have to put you on that list. BUT what usually happens is your number gets recycled through the call centre's list for a week or two, then finally it kicks you out. (but your number only stays on that list for that company for 3 years or something like that..dumb laws.. in my opinion it should be FOREVER lol) So it is possible that you still get a call within that time frame. The worst thing you can do (and they'll call even more) is tell them the decision maker of the household isn't available, not answer, or hang up on them.
Just my 2 cents, and I've NEVER had a repeat telemarketer\telesales call.

and no I don't live in India, or another far off country.

ehh, this was the kinda thing I was actually trying to dissuade, because anybody who's working a sh1tty job out there for less than ideal pay is still doing more for society, and if they support someone then they're doing more for those who they support by working there than doing nothing and living off welfare.

Most reactions

Back